Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Default What\'s your play here?

About 3 weeks ago at a wedding reception, my aunt tells me she heard that I make good brussels sprouts. She asked me to make some and bring it to her house on monday (my family goes to her house every Dec. 26th) and I said ok.

The problem is that she was pretty drunk at the time and may not remember asking me. At the reception, my mom made plans with her to go to dinner the following night, but the next morning she had no recollection of such dinner plans. This is why I think she may not remember asking me to bring the brussels sprouts.

If I bring them, and she remembers asking me or if I don't bring them and she doesn't remember, everything will be fine.

But if I bring them and she doesn't remember, I'll look stupid showing up there with brussels sprouts. Then I'll have to explain that she asked me to bring them but she must've been too drunk to remember, which would be a pretty awkward conversation.

OTOH, if I don't bring them and she does remember, then I'll feel stupid and have to make up an excuse like "oh, damn I forgot."
Old 12-24-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: What\'s your play here?

Yeah this is hard. Like this morning I was going to get on the elevator but then I was going to let some woman get on before me to be polite. But she was waiting for me to go. Real awkward man, we need real time OOT to help us through these situations!

The answer is obvious. Make them. Take them. It is a win-win.

So long as they are good.

If she asks, you could try "Oh, I thought you were kidding!" maybe?

EDIT: and maybe add "I really thought you were teasing me, you being such a good cook!" (but only if she prides herself on her cooking) - this will be very flattering and easily smooth it all out.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this is hard. Like this morning I was going to get on the elevator but then I was going to let some woman get on before me to be polite. But she was waiting for me to go. Real awkward man, we need real time OOT to help us through these situations!

[/ QUOTE ]

For real-time OOT guidance, just ask yourself...
Old 12-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I know I'm anal and I'm thinking about this way too much. Just pretend it's a more significant problem and help me.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About 3 weeks ago at a wedding reception, my aunt tells me she heard that I make good brussels sprouts. She asked me to make some and bring it to her house on monday (my family goes to her house every Dec. 26th) and I said ok.

The problem is that she was pretty drunk at the time and may not remember asking me. At the reception, my mom made plans with her to go to dinner the following night, but the next morning she had no recollection of such dinner plans. This is why I think she may not remember asking me to bring the brussels sprouts.

If I bring them, and she remembers asking me or if I don't bring them and she doesn't remember, everything will be fine.

But if I bring them and she doesn't remember, I'll look stupid showing up there with brussels sprouts. Then I'll have to explain that she asked me to bring them but she must've been too drunk to remember, which would be a pretty awkward conversation.

OTOH, if I don't bring them and she does remember, then I'll feel stupid and have to make up an excuse like "oh, damn I forgot."

[/ QUOTE ]

Make them but when you first go in, leave them in the car. Say hi and ask about the food, if she asks you were they are, tell her "oh ya i forgot about them in the car!", if she doesn't say anything about it, say oh i forgot my cell phone in the car, and run to the car and throw them in the trash so they dont stink in your car or somethin like that
Old 12-24-2005, 05:25 PM

Call her?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:25 PM

"Make brussel sprouts" is a code word for oral sex , so show up an hour early and eat that hairy muff.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:27 PM

these are the problems that plague your life? must be rough

make them and bring them. If she doesnt remember asking you, just say you wanted to help contribute. Why do people care if they "might" look dumb in front of their family? Its your family, who cares.