Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Flopped middle set with heavy action (stars $50r)

This hand is from the stars $50r 2 nights ago. Average was ~10k, and I had no real reads on villains.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t12495)
Hero (t14330)
UTG+1 (t26313)
MP1 (t14400)
MP2 (t9565)
CO (t19255)
Button (t7420)
SB (t5050)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t875) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, BB calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, MP2 calls t1000, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1800</font>,

What is my action here? Both villains are deeply stacked, and BB is playing it like he has a made straight. Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Flopped middle set with heavy action (stars $50r)

i'd call here and plan on getting it all-in if no 4 or 6 hits.

yeah, he's playing it like he has 46, but he could also be a donk with a lot of other hands.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Call, and check out the turn, hope that the board pairs. You also have position to see if they slow down on the turn and can take free card if possible.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM

schwza,
what other hands do you put BB on in this situation? He checked PF from BB with several limpers - pretty much eliminating premium pairs. He then smooth-called SB miniraise on flop, and miniraised himself after my raise and MP2's call.

What other hands besides 64 (or 77, 33) does he play this way?
Keeping in mind that in general players in the stars 50r post-rebuy period are pretty solid.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 PM

This could be an overpair as easily as a made straight, although its hard to say for sure since the BB got to see a free flop and can be holding literally any 2. With no reads it's hard to put him on a hand at all but are you really going to lay down a flopped set here? You limped the PP specifically to hit your set and you did so I wouldn't fold just yet. The other question to ask is WTF is MP2 calling with? Based on his postflop action I think his most likely range is an overpair to the board and not a set or a straight, maybe even A3,A7, A5 (with A5 being rather unlikely) and if either of these two are donkeys they could easily be overvaluing any Ace.

With about 5k in the pot and 800 needed to call you're getting the right odds to draw at your 7 outs to a full house or quads, and if the turn bricks you pickup 3 more outs for a redraw on the river. The problem here is MP2 and whether or not you're going to end up sandwiched in between another raise or, even worse, someone pushing all-in. Based on the fact that MP2 didn't reraise you originally I'd say that if he is going to hang around at all he's probably going to call again and not raise.

With all that considered I would probably call here and push any safe card (any non 4 or 6) on the turn. If MP2 raised and there was more action on the flop I would push right here and hope that one of the two will call holding an overpair or on a draw. If someone really did spike a set of sevens or straight on the flop, so be it.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:48 PM

No strenght pre-flop &amp; you have a set. I wouldn't be surprised to see MP2 on a draw by his passive play and BB on something like A7. You have them both covered.

I think this is an easy push AI.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What other hands besides 64 (or 77, 33) does he play this way?
Keeping in mind that in general players in the stars 50r post-rebuy period are pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think a solid player plays any hand this way. hands you might see include any 2 pr, as well as 7x. also a dumbly played 88-TT. 46 is more likely than any one hand, but there are a lot of hands that are not impossible.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No strenght pre-flop &amp; you have a set. I wouldn't be surprised to see MP2 on a draw by his passive play and BB on something like A7. You have them both covered.

I think this is an easy push AI.

[/ QUOTE ]

No strength preflop is exactly why you are worried in this situation. hands like 33, 46, and 77 all are unlikely to show any strenth preflop. I'm obviously not worried about an overpair.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 PM

im assuming this hand was out of the rebuy period?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im assuming this hand was out of the rebuy period?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, about 10 minutes past the rebuy period.