Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: The Calibre Of Ace-King...? (Suited or Unsuited)

[ QUOTE ]
In tournament play, against an all-in bet say, is it always right to call with A-K (suited or not) if you know your NOT up against wired kings or aces?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not knowingly race against a lower pair unless getting around 3-2 pot odds or better.

My own view when facing an allin with AK whilst getting less than 2-1 pot odds is that I need to have a chance of being against worse aces for me to call. With 2-1 pot odds, I will normally call regardless, (assuming my opponent has either opened allin, or I have raised and been moved allin).

[ QUOTE ]
And would your answer change for a multi-table tournament, as to a single-table tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the same blind/stack ratio and money payout in the given situation, no.

[ QUOTE ]
And would the size of chips in both yours and your opponents posession be relevant

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in the sense of the pot odds I would be getting to call, or in how much action it would take to get allin preflop. And the effect this would have on the likely range I am against.

[ QUOTE ]
plus the stage of the tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

At the final table I wouldn't be wanting to call allin with AK if it was a close gamble. i.e. getting 3-2 pot odds and little chance of being against a worse ace.

[ QUOTE ]
and the blinds etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in the sense this affects the dynamics with regards what people are open raising and re-raising with, and the pot odds.

AK gains value as the blinds get bigger in relation to the stacks.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:49 PM

I suppose that saying "there are no stupid questions" is true. This however, is a meaningless question. Poker, and especially tournament poker, is entirely about situations. Last week I came 12th in the super thursday, and folded AK preflop twice along the way. That was not a normal thing to do, but both times I was right and in the circumstance it was correct. There is no definitive answer to when you should call off with AK, there are too many factors. You're asking a question that has been discussed in MUCH more detail than this numerous times on this board.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 PM

AK is much better to raise all-in than call all-in.
This becomes especially true later in tournaments where AQ and AJ will call.
I usually only call all-in with AK when getting good odds or if a desperate short stack is making the move and I'm probably ahead.
The suited/unsuited thing is much more valuable when stacks are deeper and you have more flop play. As an all-in hand it mostly gives you a few extra percentage points to win.