Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 12-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Hellmuth Lateness Policy

I think the primary motivation is to display utter and complete contempt of, and disrespect for, the other players.

There is a huge thread on this lateness stuff in the archiveserver. I searched it for 'contempt' and disrespect' and no one used those words in explaining the likely motivation for this behavior.

What do you think.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth Lateness Policy

I don't think that's it really. I read somewhere long ago that he was late on the first day of the 1989 WSOP and since he ended up winning, he has continued that as kind of a good luck thing.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:10 PM

Can you spell E. G. O.? It adds to his "mystique." His "presence" is present, even when he isn't present. But will be presently.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 PM

a lot of tourney players recommmend playing tight solid poker at first anyways - don't get too tricky cause in a deep stach tourney you can be called with so many thinks unless you raise real big -

Phil strikes me as one of these guys

so He's probably saving himself some folding - but no, contempt for his opponents - No - he's an attention whore, but not a bad guy - he just wants the cameras to see him...

20 bucks says he told ESPN WHEN he was arriving so when he pulled up in the limo, they were there with the cameras.

RB
Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 PM

Waiting in line for a poker tournament to start is pretty boring. He probably comes in late so he avoids the hassle of the crowds and lines.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

20 bucks says he told ESPN WHEN he was arriving so when he pulled up in the limo, they were there with the cameras.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, 1:1? I don't think I'd take it, too much of a chance on your side. Gimmie 3:2 though and I'd bet that ESPN had a crew outside waiting for "The Phil" without any input on his part.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:18 AM

There's no way they just happened to be waiting there.

ESPN asked Phil when and where he was going to arrive...or Phil just told them, "Hey...you guys might want to bring your cameras to this spot and this time."

It was about 115 degrees outside that day (I'm not exaggerating, that was the high temp) and they wouldn't have left a camera out there just for the hell of it.

ESPN cameras were running around trying to catch anything interesting on about 170 different tables...so it's not like they actually had a lot of extra cameras/people to spare.

FWIW - I was at Johnny chan's table and he showed up about 40 minutes late.
I saw a pic of him in some magazine (Bluff or All-in or one of those) of him with a group of people at some restaurant 'the night before the WSOP'. He was wearing the exact same t-shirt in that photo the night before as he was at the main-event so I'm guessing he might have stayed out kinda late the night before.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no way they just happened to be waiting there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's kind of like World Championship Wrestling, when Arn Anderson attacked Erik Watts at a gas station, and there just "happened" to be a film crew there to capture it.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 AM

Damn you! Now I have the image of Phil in tights and I can remember far too much of his belly from the 04 US Poker Championships...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's kind of like World Championship Wrestling, when Arn Anderson attacked Erik Watts at a gas station, and there just "happened" to be a film crew there to capture it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not applicable, since cameras followed the Four Horsemen everywhere - even into Ric Flair's hotel room after he won Precious off Jimmy Garvin.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com