Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: My friend got fired for saying \"Merry Christmas\"

[ QUOTE ]
He worked at Modell's sporting goods, and a Jewish customer had bought something. He said "Merry Christmas", and the customer said "Thanks, but I celebrate Hanukah". He replied with: "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ". The Jewish customer was not amused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend was basically proselytizing and being a intolerant of someone else's deepest held beliefs. I think it's not just bad customer service. I think it's bad humanity. Of course, that's what I believe and who am I to impose my beliefs on others? I would like to mention that my belief seems to cause less trouble than people pushing their beliefs on others.

Your friend would have to be very, very socially skilled to pull of his comment and make it appear to be a good-natured joke. If he didn't know the person, and probably very well, it's really, really stupid to make a comment like that.

I found his comment to be funny, but I like verbal sparring, am easily amused, and am not offended very easily.

As the guy's boss, I'd fire him too. As an employer, you need to consider the needs and desires of the rest of humanity and not just your own way of thinking.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found his comment to be funny, but I like verbal sparring, am easily amused, and am not offended very easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise.

[ QUOTE ]
As the guy's boss, I'd fire him too. As an employer, you need to consider the needs and desires of the rest of humanity and not just your own way of thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fire him too if I received such a complaint, but not because of a "humanity" thing, because it may hurt my business and its not worth losing any clients over. But like I said, you wouldn't have heard that complaint from me, because the situation wouldn't have been able to have happened, as I would have just kept it at "you too".
Old 12-27-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, sounds like your friend got fired for being a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Analogous insult:
clerk: Have a good day, Sir.
customer: I'm female.
clerk: OK, have a good day, Sir. Remember to shake after you pee.
customer: I'm reporting you for your rude behavior.
boss: Clerk, you're fired.