Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: AJ in early position

AJ is dangerous from early position for a number of reasons. A) If you raise and get re-raised, you have to dump it. B) If you raise and are called, you are OOP, and you will also need to tread very carefully if an ace flops, and even more so if a K or Q flops. This is adecent hand to push all-in with if you are short stacked, but with 12BB you are not in a desperate situation yet. I would lean towards call of fold here, but more towards fold.
As a side note, if your image at the table is that of a tight solid player, a raise UTG will get a lot of respect, and you may be able to pick up the blinds here. A lot of other factors come into play here as well, but i hope those couple suggestions help.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: AJ in early position

[ QUOTE ]
But why does having the ante change this to a push? If you had 2400 chips for example and the blinds are 200/100 25 ante then this is a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because now there is about 500 in the pot rather than 300, and an allin raise is not too big an overbet.

[ QUOTE ]
Arent you going to get called by the same range that has you crushed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're hoping to win uncontested. And you're allin, rather than part way in, giving bad odds to any caller. And if called, you're not dead unless against AA. It's a better risk/reward.

Give me only 8 or 9X the blind and I'd likely raise allin without the ante.