Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM

Default I have a set, check/fold?

Live 20-40. I open UTG with KK, passes around to button who 3 bets, BB on raging tilt goes all in for 15 chips total, button and I call and we're heads up for the flop. A little background, button knows I generally play very solid but he's seen me make one or two goofy plays. I know he plays solid but I've seen him do the same. We've never made strange plays against each other though. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I raise, he 3 bets, I 4 bet, he 5 bets, I 6 bet, he 7 bets, I pause for a sec and 8 bet, he insta-9 bets, I puke and go into check call mode. Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check call. River is blank and as I check BB mucks K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] face up in disgust. Big pot, muck a set for 1 more?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: I have a set, check/fold?

where did you muck a set?

didn't you win a big pot?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:34 AM

Are you asking if the old "8-bet and fold to a 9-bet" strategy applies here?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 AM

I raise the turn
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 AM

I think you played this hand fine as long as you dont fold on the end. The pot is too big now to even consider folding for one more bet. I realize that when the big blind flashed his hand it dramatically hurt your chances of winning since the villain cannot have AK now and the chances of the villain having TT just went down by 67%. But I still think you must call here.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Here's an idea. If you're going to put in 9 bets with the second nuts, call the turn, and then fold the river with the same hand, just call the 7th bet and see a showdown. Were you drawing to your one out on the turn and river? If not, why would you fold the river for one bet after putting in 9 on the flop? This doesn't make any sense. The pot is freakin huge, only one hand beats you, and you've known he had that hand since the flop. You would be better off folding the flop and tossing him the extra 1.5 BB. It would save time.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this hand fine as long as you dont fold on the end. The pot is too big now to even consider folding for one more bet. I realize that when the big blind flashed his hand it dramatically hurt your chances of winning since the villain cannot have AK now and the chances of the villain having TT just went down by 67%. But I still think you must call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP: Slow down after he 5-bets or 7-bets. And definitely don't fold. You only have the 2nd nuts. Not only that, there's more than 1 way he can have AA.

To Westley: I don't know why it matters if the chances that the guy has TT has decreased. Do you think any sane person is 9-betting TT on an AK3 flop? Also, it's -50%, not -67%.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]is this a joke or do you not know how to play holdem?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:51 AM

this would be a very nice fold.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:03 PM

fold and ill slap you but like another said, slowdown after its 7 bet on the flop. Most players aren't going 8 bets + without AA here