Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: I am seriously and sincerely impressed (no joke).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but people who are very successful in business are driven to make $$. People who talk about "loving" there job are full of it most of the time.. If they won the lottery they wouldn't be spending there day doing their current job 95/100 times..

[/ QUOTE ]

When I met Tommy he told me about how people sometimes ask him if and when he thinks he will retire.

His reply: "Retire from what?"

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: my shortest session ever

[ QUOTE ]
You mean for a professional poker player showing up to play a 20/40 game at the Mirage is good financial time allocation???? LOL... Give me a break. Anybody with half a brain knows that an idiot multitabling almost anything on party could make more than tommy could sitting on that table.... And thats considered good time allocation for somebody who is charging suckers $5,000 to meet with him about poker.... lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Let it go, Tommy plays great and has a style that is unique. He has more experience in poker than almost anybody on the board. He does an excellent job of helping some of us younger guys understand the importance of:
1. dealing with variance
2. thinking outside the box
3. never stopping our progression

Those are a few of the things I have gotten from his posts, and I look forward to reading more wisdom from a poker veteran. I might not agree with every play he makes, it doesnt mean there isn't something I can learn from the logic behind his game.

truth
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thats fine if you aren't movitated to be very successful and have a low tolerance for risk and dont' want to do much professionally with your life.... if that makes you happy fine.....

It's kind of funny how all the people who talk about not caring about $$ much are the same people who don't have any $$.... funny how that works...

How about your just too lazy or not smart enough, etc as an actual possibility why people aren't as successful...

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be the biggest dick I've seen on this board, and that's saying something. Saying "LOL" a few more times, please.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 PM

Yeah it will be awesome when you are 40 years old "grinding" it out on a 20/40 tables... sounds awesome...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it will be awesome when you are 40 years old "grinding" it out on a 20/40 tables... sounds awesome...

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, if I could turn 100 dollars an hour like tommy playing live, I would be happy "grinding" it out.
Thats a doctor's salary. You set your own hours. It's not for everybody, but probably very fullfilling to people who know how to fill up their lives with things besides poker on top.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Dude whatever, I'm just stating some common facts that are obvious.

1) The point of career/business primarly is to make $$. Poker may have started out for pleasure and it still is pleasurable for most of us, but if the money left.. we would not be spending so much time playing it.... bottomline.
2) Tommy isn't one of the best poker players on this board, but he is one of the best writers. When he posts is a good "story" , but fundementally bad poker... time and time again...

3) It's just amazing to me how people have voluntarily posted reasons why they aren't more financially successful at poker... Thats kind of like giving an excuse that your girlfriend isn't that "great" looking, but your really into girls "personalities" more than looks...... 9 times of 10... people who say that couldn't score the hot chick or beat the larger limits......
Old 09-22-2005, 09:59 PM

you're just wrong about the money thing, you can think whatever you want about poker, but you're seriously deluding yourself if you think money is the end all be all. I could make a lot more money going into buisness or working at an ibank firm out of college, pretty easily 100k+ right out of college, mid 6 figures by the time i'm 27-28, but frankly i don't give a [censored] and i'd rather do something else and enjoy my life.

There are other things, money is a means not an end
Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 PM

People don't live to make money they need money to live. Believe it or not a lot of people are comfotable with a lifestyle that requires much less money than they could make if they worked themselves to death. You seem to think that if they don't work themselves to death to make tons of money that they are stupid or incompetent.

I agree that Tommy doesn't seem to be nearly as experienced with high stakes poker as a lot of the people who look up to him here, but if you payed attention you would know that he has the reputation for having a lot of the skills these players have probably short changed in the interest of learning pure strategy.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:41 PM

Lots of people teach hand play. Very few teach the much ignored mental side. I'd never pay somebody to coach me in terms of how to play what when, but if I was making an attempt to play for a living and could afford it, I'd pay Tommy just to talk about the mental aspect of the game.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 PM

"if you want to decrease your variance, call/fold more, bet/raise less."

Tommyisms have both challenged my thinking and become a part of my poker game. He is a valuable part of this board.