Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 09:33 PM

Default I think I found a leak!

After my sessions this weekend at the Borgata, and the long ride home with JTG51 and Joe Tall, I think I may have found a leak in my game, and wanted to post my thoughts here.

I played a ton of low limit (3-6) hold'em this weekend. It was very loose (5-7 to the flop every hand), and passive for the most part. There were usually only 2 or 3 players doing any raising, myself included.

I was trying to play my best of course, and play according to how the game was going. I was limping from EP with QJo, QTs, QTo, and KJo. I mentioned this to my traveling partners, citing specific hands, and they commented on what I was doing right or wrong. I then followed up by reading the chapter in HPFAP about hand selection in EP. I have come to the following conclusions:

1) I am playing too many broadway off suit hands from EP like KTo and QJo. I found I was placing too much value in these types of hands.

2) I am not playing enough suited connectors, period. I routinely fold hands like J9s and 98s in these games. I do raise KQs from almost any position, but I rarely raise T9s from the button after 4-5 limpers.

Any and all comments are welcome. Are these significant leaks, minor errors, or somewhere in the middle?

Joe
Old 06-14-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Re: I think I found a leak!

I understand folding KTo, QJo, etc. I don't understand raising with T9s.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:02 PM

I personally don't like playing QTo or KTo in Early position against an average, or even slightly below average field, preferring instead to play them in LP and maybe MP if the game was running very loose passive with many callers.

I'm in favor of calling and occasionally raising 78s to 9Ts late position in these sort of games to mix my play up, however lately it seems I only do this when running well or when I think my table image is too tight.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:11 PM

Playing too many hands in EP, especially the off-suit broadway hands you've mentioned can be a significant leak.

Limping w/suited connectors in passive-preflop games is a must.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-15-2004, 02:32 AM

Do you think being too tight Ep is bad? Only limping with suited 10 9 and above.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:30 AM

Do you think being too tight Ep is bad? Only limping with suited 10 9 and above

Depends on what type of game you are in. You could be missing out on some EV in passive preflop games that routinely are multiway.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-15-2004, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I am playing too many broadway off suit hands from EP like KTo and QJo. I found I was placing too much value in these types of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very significant leak in ring games, whatever limit you play.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I am not playing enough suited connectors, period. I routinely fold hands like J9s and 98s in these games. I do raise KQs from almost any position, but I rarely raise T9s from the button after 4-5 limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the game you described, i wouldn't really raise with KQs from any position. i will however raise a good amount of times with T9s on the button (or CO) after many limpers. However, i wouldn't say not playing enough J9s or 98s a leak, they are harder to play than premium hands, especially for a beginner.

Kenny
Old 06-15-2004, 09:13 AM

The offsuit hands you're playing in EP are significant leaks I think. I will play hands with a T in them (KT QT and JT) from the CO only, and the J hands (KJ QJ) from 3 off the button.

I love suited connectors (probably too much) but the game conditions have to be right. The game you described is perfect for them. Not playing them I would classify as a smaller leak.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:17 AM

in the game you described, i wouldn't really raise with KQs from any position

For some reason I don't think it'll be too long before we see another losing streak post. You should be raising KQs in nearly every position.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 06-15-2004, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in the game you described, i wouldn't really raise with KQs from any position. i will however raise a good amount of times with T9s on the button (or CO) after many limpers. However, i wouldn't say not playing enough J9s or 98s a leak, they are harder to play than premium hands, especially for a beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats horrible advice, I can't think of any position NOT to raise KQs in an unraised pot.