Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Manny for Abreu

Linko

Suposedly the Red Sox love the deal and the Phillies are the ones who seem to have cold feet.

I really feel like Manny would be an upgrade. He would kill the ball in CBP and even though he is pretty bad in the field, really so is Abreu. I think he could survive in right field. Rowand would be tired by the end of the game, but hey that's why they got him.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Manny for Abreu

[ QUOTE ]
I really feel like Manny would be an upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anybody would argue that.

prevailing wisdom in Boston was that we would be lucky to get .50 on the $1 (talent wise) in any Manny deal. Manny is a historically great hitter - stands w/ Bonds at the top of the list of this generations greatest. he's average at best in all other baseball skills.

he's also insane, and makes too much money. this deal would give the Sox about $.80 on the dollar, which is more than acceptable I think.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt anybody would argue that.

prevailing wisdom in Boston was that we would be lucky to get .50 on the $1 (talent wise) in any Manny deal. Manny is a historically great hitter - stands w/ Bonds at the top of the list of this generations greatest. he's average at best in all other baseball skills.

he's also insane, and makes too much money. this deal would give the Sox about $.80 on the dollar, which is more than acceptable I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abreu is also half insane, not quite as insane, but closer than most people think. Abreu would be a monster in Fenway. He could hit balls off of the Green Monster like Boggs and could hit .350 easy.

In some ways this trade might make too much sense. The biggest problem is that the Phillies need to make a few more moves (closer and starting pitcher) and don't want to blow their whole payroll on Manny. If the Red Sox made it up I think that it could happen.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM

he's also insane, and makes too much money.

compare his antics to some of the other stuff in red sox history and you will see he is not as whacky as some think. what, he asks for time off occasionly because his hammys 'may' hurt? hes also very durable. he asks to be traded a lot? who cares.

also, hes not overpaid anymore. inflation/the marketplace have caught up with his deal.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:21 PM

this deal would give the Sox about $.80 on the dollar, which is more than acceptable I think.

abreu is due $44m over 3 seasons (thr last one a team option for 2m which is huge) and manny 57/3.

abreu will average 14.6m
manny will average 19m

bobby is 2 years younger than manny.

manny will probably outperform abreu *next* season, but over the 3 years i expect offense to be equal.

this deal would be close to more than $1 on the dollar. If Jack can chime in here with BA's UZR rating I would be more comfortable saying this is a easy deal for the sox.

EDIT: also, i dont understand why people think the red sox would accept anything less that $1-$1. they have ALL THE LEVRAGE in this situation. Who cares what manny wants? he is going to go out and perform no matter where he is, just liek he has done the past 10+ years.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Not only would this likely be a good deal for the Sox, we would also get to witness Manny's reaction to Philly fans and Philly sports culture, which could be high comedy. Has anybody ever demanded to be traded in the first two weeks of a season?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, hes not overpaid anymore. inflation/the marketplace have caught up with his deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

you think so? I can't think of any deals w/ an AAV of $19m that have been signed recently. there are now a # of $13-$15m guys, but $19M?

maybe I'm wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
hes also very durable.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point, which most people miss. the guys has played a ton of games in the field the last 3 years - the most on the team maybe?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a good point, which most people miss. the guys has played a ton of games in the field the last 3 years - the most on the team maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

by virtue of nixon, kapler, payton, millar splitting the duties in right field, and damon being hurt a couple of times in CF. varitek sits every fifth day. so mueller at 3b is the only one who can challenge manny, but he's been benched a bunch of times. i guess you are right.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:13 PM

i'd buy my season tickets back tomorrow

abreu for manny
burrell for starter
danys baez

yup... 1-800-phillies, sign me up
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Numerous reports on ESPN radio today implied that the Phils essentially laughed at this offer and it is not even being considered.