Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Teacher Bias

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he is not forming his own opinions, he is learning nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he made it abundantly clear that he had formed his own opinions. Kinda the whole point of his post, isn't it?

I agree with Jake all the way. Roll your eyes, write whatever it is he/she wants to hear, and forget about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET GOD ALMIGHTY, ALL THESE POSTS AND NOT ONE HAS HELPED ME. I dont care about teh debate of whether I should/or should not state my opinion. I have my own, and I know what I stand for. What I DO NOT know is what SHE stands for. She has a french last name, and that is all I know. So I figured Ill just write her an email, carefully worded to get some type of biased response and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spend less time on trying to figure out what she is thinking and more on writing a coherent paper. Oh and just because she has a french name doesn't mean that she is liberal.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy wants to be a pushover, no amount of information we give him can possibly help him.

I'll say it one more time, in case STLantny missed it the first time I did...

WRITE A COHERENT PAPER. Take both sides if you're afraid to commit to either one. But if you're capable of writing a good paper with support, and feel that your professor gave you a lower grade than you deserved based on her bias, TAKE IT TO THE DEPARTMENT HEAD. Failing that, take it to the administration of the school.

If all you want to do is blindly agree with whatever her point of view is, your paper should be this long:

"I am incapable of creating this paper for myself, and fearing for my grade I think the media is whatever you think it is. Perhaps one day I'll grow the backbone to stand up for myself, even though I may disagree with my professor."
Old 10-04-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Churn the BS. Grades > being right

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally wrong. I'd rather not be a sellout and get a worse grade.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is idiotic. It's a class paper. You're not selling out anything. Have you ever taken debate class? You have to argue whichever side you're assigned. It doesn't make you a sellout. Have you ever taken a literature class? They tell what they think the correct answers are. Putting the professor's answers down on the test doesn't make you a sellout just because you disagree with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a debate class. Read the OP next time. You are making absolutely no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Example. Look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Condescending prick. Look it up.

His example is poor. It is unrelated to the situation at hand. In a debate class, you are forced to take a side you don't necessarily agree with. That is the point of the class. In this case, you are supposed to present your own opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

While his example was not for a perfectly equal situation it still showed that there are times in which you get the choice of always standing up for what you believe or getting a good grade. Unfortunately there are too many shitty professors these days that unfairly grade those who disagree with them so students are sometimes forced to take a position they don't believe in if they want to score well. Just like they might have to do in a debate class.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"the teacher was biased against me"

this is a convenient excuse but very rarely true. In all my years of education I've only had one teacher who was like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, didn't you find it was used by the students who seemed like they excelled in HS or their lower division studies but then for whatever reason start to struggle when they get past the read and repeat part of learning?