Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Default A little help here

A couple days ago, I'm bored with my ring games, so I jump into a Party $30+$3, just for the hell of it. We are in round 4, blinds 25/50. I have just over 2200 chips in the CO. Also of importance for this hand is that in the last orbit I reraised an early position raiser with 73o, and when he folded I showed the bluff to setup a big pot (hopefully) later. The villain in the hand has about 5600 chips in MP1 and is the current chip leader. He won a large pot with pocket 9s over pocket 7s, and another with a flopped flush vs. a set. The villain makes overbets preflop with medium pocket pairs... seen it once with 99, where he called an allin reraise getting less than 2:1 pot odds, and once with 77 where a short stack called with QJ and lost the race. I couldn't get the converter to work, so I'll post the hand from my perspective here:

BB is allin with for his last 50 chips. MP1 open raises to 350. Folded to me in CO with AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I consider three options... 1) mini raise to define my hand, 2) call, 3) allin reraise. I'm interested to know what you all would do here and why. I discard the allin immediately, as I'm pretty sure he has a pocket pair and I know he'll call. I think I can outplay him on the flop, so I discard the minireraise since I have position and don't want him running scared and check to me if I hit my hand. So I just call the raise. All fold.

Flop is 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain moves all in. I think he would have played it slower if he had 88 or 66, so I'm sure he didn't hit his set. I'm also PRETTY sure he doesn't have AA or KK. So I'm the favorite here with 3 Aces, 3 Kings and 9 hearts for outs. I think it is a real easy call, so I make the call. Is there ANYONE here who doesn't make the call here as the favorite?

Result: Villain shows pocket 10s, no 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I river a Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and win the hand. Villain goes on and on about how I didn't hit my hand and should have folded, as he was the favorite and winning. I said "You can be ahead and NOT be the favorite, and that was the case here. I was a 55-45 favorite after the flop." Much ranting followed from the villain, who I was happy to bust out when he went on tilt and pushed in with J7o when I happened to have pocket Queens.

Anyway, I thought this whole line was pretty standard, but I realized that situations similar to this preflop arise often in online tournaments with players overbetting their middle pairs from fear of getting outdrawn postflop and I'm wondering if anyone has any differing opinions on how to play this preflop. I really can't see anyone arguing the allin call on the flop, but I'm happy to hear why you disagree with the call if you do.