Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Default turn 3-bet/fold

villain is 35/7/0.5, ASB 13 after 100 hands.

Prima Poker 20/40 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 09-26-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: turn 3-bet/fold

Your post doesn't make sense. How can you 3-bet the button when you are CO?

Either way, I wouldn't 3-bet the turn. Call &amp; donk the river if it is a brick. Call a river raise as well.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:22 PM

oops, i'm sb.

why wouldn't you 3-bet the turn?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 PM

wow - i rarely fold to a cap here. you'll see some players do this with another AQ or even KQ, and so i don't fold with out a better read than just numbers.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:28 PM

well i've played all 100 hands with him, so i do have a read, but the numbers do a good job of describing it. he's loose-passive post and preflop, does a lot of calling and not much raising. hasn't gotten out of line.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:33 PM

This guy is not agressive - and the turn raise is a big move. Does a turn cap have to be a set or AA? Unfortunately I don't think it does - I think he can have two pair here sometimes and he can definitely have KK.

This means that after you 3-bet and he caps you are forced to call. Sucks but you simply have to call getting 11.5-1. Now, you are on the river and the pot has 12.5BB's in it and after you check you will getting 13.5-1 to call with top pair - it might be worth it.

So, in this scenario you invested a ton of bets into the pot and all you had to do was call down. The only thing the 3-bet is defending against is a small pair + flush draw semi-bluff raise or a worse queen raising. You get an extra bet in these cases, but if you just call down you save yourself a lot of bets in the other cases.

I think calling on the turn instead of 3-betting saves you many bets at the expense of winning just a few.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 PM

yep, you're right, good post. in the actual hand i decided to just call down, and he had a worse queen. i thought about 3-betting, to get value out of worse hands, and also lose the same if i was behind because i thought i could fold if he capped since he was so passive. after looking into it though, no i definitely can't fold to the turn cap, so just calling down is better. turns out there really isn't that many combinations of hands i'm in real bad shape against.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yep, you're right, good post. in the actual hand i decided to just call down, and he had a worse queen. i thought about 3-betting, to get value out of worse hands, and also lose the same if i was behind because i thought i could fold if he capped since he was so passive. after looking into it though, no i definitely can't fold to the turn cap, so just calling down is better. turns out there really isn't that many combinations of hands i'm in real bad shape against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sneaky! I was wondering why you didn't just call down, that would be my default. The 3bet-fold is an interesting line but it doesn't have enough merit with a hand as strong as yours it seems. Having position would be better, too.

Surf