Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:17 AM

Default king high against a clown

villain in this hand is bad. he limps or coldcalls preflop with garbage hands consistently, and is pretty bad postflop as well. i haven't played too many hands with him, but i've been isolating him a lot so far, and he's bet into me on a bunch of flops now. he's done it with air a few times (and always fires again, he's bet the flop then bet/folded the turn a couple times), he's done it with his draws, and did it once with top pair, although he's check-raised me on the flop with top pair a couple times as well. he sometimes just check/calls a lot, but i haven't seen him win a showdown after doing that, and sometimes check/raises, which has yet to be a bluff or semibluff.

sb is passive.

PokerChamps 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, CO calls.

River: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 09-23-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: king high against a clown

a) what the hell is pokerchamps?

b) i dont think theres an alternate flop or turn line, you might consider raising the flop to get SB out

c) the river call seems pretty standard under the conditions you've stated. the fact that the 8 paired makes it less likely that he's got an 8 in my mind and more likely that hes donking with something like T7s or something.

anyhow i like your line, i don't know if there's merit to raising the flop or not, but i think it's mostly standard and youre good 1 in 8 here.

edit: actually I think i like raising the flop to get out SB here
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 AM

gus hansen's site. it's mostly dead now.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 AM

The river call makes me think you feel like you need to SD in this hand, given that, I think you should raise the flop, also you get SB out of the hand in an alreaady 4.5BB pot. If SB cc 2 you give up unless you improve, else you bet the turn and free SD the river.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:45 AM

i'm not sure about the flop. i didn't feel the need to show down my hand right there, things just ended up that way. the CO was somewhat sane, and hadn't gotten too out of line multiway yet, so i just kind of wanted to call and see what happened. i was also considering raising a lot of turn cards if i got HU against him. calling was sort of a peel, sort of a delayed bluff, sort of a "let's see if the SB likes his hand"... but i don't know if it's any better than just raising and trying to ensure i get heads up. SB is on the tight side of passive, so i was hoping he'd just go away, but i am giving him pretty good odds to peel by just calling.

the turn, bet. the river, i figured i was good often enough. there's a small chance he has an 8, and a small chance he has a small pair and is trying to bluff the 8, but i think i'm definitely good 1 in 9.