Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Air conditioning EV

I just bought a condo and am wondering whether or not to get a home warranty for it. Basically for $300/ year I can get any of my appliances repaired or replaced for $45. The big thing this comes into play for is if the AC unit goes out, since it costs several thousand for a new one. I tend to avoid insurance in most things since it’s usually –EV and I generally have a fair amount of cash readily available. However, I think it might be worth it in this instance since the unit was built in 1980 and still has the original AC unit. Thing is, I have no idea what the general life expectancy is of such a unit. Also, this is in Vegas where AC is obviously a bit thing in the summer.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Air conditioning EV

$300/yr to know that if anything goes wrong it will be taken care of is cheap peace of mind. Go for it, and that A/C unit should have/will crap out soon.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:04 PM

tell me how often you'll spend 4k on fixing broken appliances and then we can answer your question.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:08 PM

pay it, then run it around the clock until it dies. get it replaced, cancel the insurance.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:15 PM

I love scamming insurance scams. If you think it will crap out within the next handful of years, then go for it and cancel it. Also, what other major appliances or equipment can you get your hands on that will fail within the next year? Consider garage sales, etc. You could possibly score a cheap hot tub in this manner. What about solar paneling? Of course, cancel it after you cash out!

Keep in mind that most of this post is just scheming & speculation. But seriously, if you know that the geriatric AC is at the end of its pitiful existance, splurge briefly on the insurance.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:18 PM

Wow, I hadn’t even thought about doing this. OOT rocks!
Old 12-10-2005, 05:15 PM

i don't recommend doing this, but here goes anyway.

you can actually intentionally break it. not taking a hammer to it, but in a more subtle way. like high voltage blast into an appropriate place on the circuit. the investigations are really expensive. most companies just write a check
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't recommend doing this, but here goes anyway.

you can actually intentionally break it. not taking a hammer to it, but in a more subtle way. like high voltage blast into an appropriate place on the circuit. the investigations are really expensive. most companies just write a check

[/ QUOTE ]

Much too obvious. Simply wait for a very cold day. Turn on the air. The compressor should burn out. Turn off air conditioner. Restart in spring, and whoops, the thing doesn't work.

But you didn't hear that from me.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:46 PM

doesn't he live in LV? how many cold days will he have?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:54 PM

Better read the fine print. Companies will put all kinds of limitations and technicalities and hoops you have to jump through before they will honor a claim. If it breaks and can't be repaired maybe you will wait for months without an A/C before you get a new one. But most likely, if it does break, it will just be a fairly cheap repair bill for them, realtive to what you are paying.