Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's more annoying?
Questions that could be answered by using the search function 7 7.61%
The tirade of 'use the search' responses to questions that could be answered using the search 26 28.26%
Using the not so useful search function 38 41.30%
Stupid polls 21 22.83%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Final Table Situation - KQ in BB

Ok, so we're at the final table of an online $50 rebuy tourney ($7k for 1st). 7th out of 8 remaining players and have 10 or 11 BB left. Pick up KQ in big blind. All fold to button who raises to 3BB. Button has been very aggressive last 3 or 4 orbits but I have already seen him pass to re-raises. What's your play?

I'm posting since having discussed with a couple of mates we didn't reach a satisfactory conclusion. I've heard arguments for calling, folding and raising.

Personally I prefer the raise as it looks like I must have a large chunk of fold equity here, and I can't be far behind against the range of calling hands.

Interested in some more opinions

Cheers

DD
Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Final Table Situation - KQ in BB

If he's prone to steal and fold to a reraise, I like pushing in this spot with a fold coming in close second. I don't think you're really losing all that much by letting the hand go, but at this point you probably still have enough chips to attack his stack. While waiting for a better hand, your stack may dwindle and you'll lose your folding equity. Even if he does call, you're only an 11:10 dog against JJ or worse and probably a 60:40 dog to an A with a kicker lower than a Q. Another plus for pushing is that he will be less enthusiastic to attack your blinds in the future. If you bust, that's poker and at least you're in the money. If you win without a fight (most likely result) you'll pick up 4.5BB's plus the antes, putting you in a much stronger position. If you double up you'll probably have a real shot at the big money.

Folding is not THAT terrible of a play. If you're called, you're probably going to the flop as some sort of underdog as it is, unless he's raising with junk. I really don't like the passive call. You're going to the flop with 7 or 8 BB's and will practically be pot committed. Either you'll have to flop something good to the hand or run him off his hand. Folding on the flop will leave you too short stacked to really be competative.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:20 AM

This is a clear-cut all-in play. He is on the button in prime stealing position, you know he's smart enough to let go when he's beaten. Odds are your hand is better than his, you are likely to win without seeing a flop and improving your stack size by almost 50%. If he does call you, you could still easily be in a coin flip situation.

By the way, it would help if you gave the button's stack size here. If he has big stack there is a much larger chance he will call your playback than if he just barely has you covered.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 AM

You description (aggressive button who mucks to reraises) screams for a push here. In addition to the fold equity (your #1 reason to push) you have strong value as well. It's unlikely you're dominated, and you're a coinflip against many hands with which he might call (99-JJ; AJ etc.).

It depends a bit on the payout ladder, however. If there's some huge jump in the next couple of spots, I'd be less likely to make a move.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:35 AM

Button has more than double my stack at this point. This probably increases the range of his calling hands but that seems ok to me.

Cheers

DD
Old 05-23-2005, 12:32 PM

Yep, that sounds right to me.

No major payout jumps - -standard structure so looking for a top three finish.

Cheers

DD
Old 05-23-2005, 12:54 PM

What are the stack sizes? Depending on the stacks, I'd either push or stop and go.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:58 PM

I have 10 or 11 BB, button has a bit more than twice that.

Cheers

DD
Old 05-23-2005, 12:59 PM

If I think he can fold A8 here, I push, if not, I stop and go.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Stop and Go.