Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Who doesn\'t go broke with this hand

Just moved tables but my intial read is that villan is pretty conservative. $20 full tilt tourney with top 27 payed and 30 people left.

I have 15 times the blind and villian has me barely convered. We are both top 10 in chips. I raise 2.5 times the blind to steal in the cutoff with A2o. Which he calls from the big blind. Flop is 9s2s2h. He checks I check behind to trap. Turn is 8s He bets 3 BB which I only smooth call realizing the only thing that he will call a raise with beats me. River is Kc he moves all in for about the size of the pot. I call he turns over the nut flush. My basic question is there anyway to get away from this hand or is it one that I am destened to go broke on. Any critque would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Who doesn\'t go broke with this hand

Not saying I wouldn't bust here, but why not just bet the flop. He probably doesn't have much, but will likely play back with a 9, and may well make a move with some other hands. Betting will also disguise your hand and stop the nastiness of this hand where you let him have a free card to beat you.

Cheers

DD
Old 05-24-2005, 04:50 AM

ya I probably should have since any PP will give me action but I think he was going to the felt with his AQs. He probably would have check raised me all in which is exactly what I wanted him to do.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 AM

w/ 15xBB you're not getting away from it after the flop.

Anyway, If you are an aggressive player betting the flop behind is good. Checking behind is not the only way to trap. And if you believe that on the turn he only calls a raise with hands that beat you, your are playing much too tight (that or you're overestimating the tightness of your opponent. Sometimes both things are actually the same).
Old 05-24-2005, 07:24 AM

Why trap when there is a flushdraw on flop? You should only trap if there is little chance he will beat you or a good chance he will make second best hand, and in this case I think it's to dangerous.

I would have bet the pot not giving any flushdraw the right odds to call. Then if he call I know (not 100% of course) he has a nine or nines, some overpair or a flushdraw.

Then I would bet a continuation bet on turn to see where I stand in the pot, if called/raised I'm pretty much done with the hand.

And if facing an all-in bet as you did at river I would have to release my hand (depending on my stacksize vs potsize) losing to a player who wrongfully called my flopbet without the right odds.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I would bet a continuation bet on turn to see where I stand in the pot, if called/raised I'm pretty much done with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this right: you put 2.5BB out of your 15 PF. Then you put another few BBs as a continuation bet (you realize that when you hit your trips, which here is a hand that is very tough to put you on, you do have a very strong hand? so it's not really a contination bet, you just want it to look like a continuation bet), then you put another bet, and then you're *done* with the hand if you get called or raised? You fold trips here and leave yourself about 3xBB BB's because you simply put your opponent on a better hand? Now I see what people who fold after putting 75% of their stack in have...

I can't imagine how easy it is to push you off hands that are weaker than trips.

You actually don't want to put yourself in situations like this if you're going to fold it on the turn/river. So just push the flop or PF or something.

Post flop with this hand and stack it's only a question of how to get the money into the pot.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:44 AM

Push the flop and you don't go broke unless villain makes a bad decision and gets lucky.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:17 AM

I didn't talk about BB's, I usually talk about fractions of the pot (except when talking about preflop raises).

I admit I didn't keep track of his stack and pot size because he didn't state it like that (I thought he had a bigger stack related to the pot). But say BB is 100, then he only had 1500 which I wasn't up to date with.

Then I would raise 400, the pot would then be 850 after his call. Then my flopbet would have been about 900 if I had a big stack, but I missed the stack size and in this occasion a 900 bet with only 1100 left is pointless and therefore all in is the right move in my mind.

Otherwise if I had a big stack in relation to the pot I would have bet 900 on the flop and the pot would have been 2650 after his call and then my continuation bet would have been 1200-1400. If he called/raised that bet I would probably be in trouble.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:35 AM

I bet a very high percentage of flops that are checked to me anyway. So I bet 4 BB here like I would in every other pot. If he calls or raises me allin at least I got my chips in while ahead, but I definitely bust here if he plays back at me with his OC + flush draw (which is ahead of one pair actually, so it's probably the right thing for him to do as well).
Old 05-24-2005, 11:23 AM

i definitely bet the flop. this looks like a flop that must have missed you, so villain may c/r bluff here, esp if you have an aggro image. as it turns out, you're going broke regardless, but that's my line. i also raise the turn. don't want a bluff like QxTs to have a free chance to hit.