Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: early stages against total idiots

I would probably play both of these hands, but I would limp them. And fold both after the action on the flop. Unless you have any read that says superduper donk that loves pushing with air, draws or bottom pair.

Limping AJ means I don't feel like wasting money on a cbet when I miss the flop as well. Later when the blinds grow, I am much more likely to raise AJ.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 PM

My point of view is as follows.

1. Per your comments and Harrington's hand selection model... I would agree with and you if stacks were deeper.
2. I am assuming this is a PP tournament you are referring. We all know the blind structures are tough there.
3. I am only suggesting that hand selection, position, and relative chip stacks are extremely important when selecting hands to be involved with.
4. I am certainly not a pro, but I am a winning player. My biggest finish was winning the guarenteed $40k, which was last week. Typically, like you, I find myself busting out when cards don't come; however, I would rather become a better bubble player and use my stack as a weapon when it counts, than raise early on in a tournament with marginal hands when players have very wide calling ranges, and you can count on someone playing back at you.... which is not what you with AJ. In the example you posted, I think I shove that flop after someone raises. Good chance you can double up which you need to do. If you bust, there are plenty of other SNG's, MTT, & Cash games you can quickly join and earn your buy in at.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
both of these are pre-flop folds and you are a donkey for playing them. seriously, get a clue. i am not tying to be a dick here, but kj and aj is about as marginal as it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. These are very good limping hands especially at level one. You just have to remember that you are playing KJs for two-pair or better. Folding AJs preflop is weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean at level one for AJs? I fold AJs UTG+1 in many situations and I'm far from weak-tight.

Brad
Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 PM

really? always regardless of stack size?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:26 PM

Nice post thanks for elaborating and getting a more stimulating conversation going. Good point about the blind structure and the fact that maybe stacks need to be deeper to be playing these hands. I guess I need to be a little more careful out of position and at picking my spots, i.e. what kind of players are in the blinds and still to act.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM

are you avoiding this because of the many weak players that are still in the tourney? Or are you deciding this based on having poor position and lack of reads? I'm just asking what all is going into your decision making process here. I'm really good at this for limit but trying to get better at this for Tourneys. Because with a very comfortable M and a hand that would usually be a play I would think there would have to be multiple factors to keep from playing this. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
both of these are pre-flop folds and you are a donkey for playing them. seriously, get a clue. i am not tying to be a dick here, but kj and aj is about as marginal as it comes.

[/ QUOTE ]uve made some crazy posts in the last hour
Old 11-01-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. These are very good limping hands especially at level one. You just have to remember that you are playing KJs for two-pair or better. Folding AJs preflop is weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean at level one for AJs? I fold AJs UTG+1 in many situations and I'm far from weak-tight.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

AJo, sure, but I think AJs is a somewhat different animal. Part of it also has to do with table dynamics. If there is a lot of raising, I'll dump it, but if I'm pretty sure I can see a flop for t15, with the possibility of flopping a monster, then I'll do so.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play these hands everytime (not everytime, depending on position, actions preflop, etc..) in level 1, and a lot of other ones much worse with good success. I would actually say that if you're folding these hands everytime in level 1 then you suck at tournament poker. That is not to say though if you want to play them successfully you must have somepostflop skill.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:04 PM

this a leak in your game