Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Default AKo from out of position theory question?

There's a section in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players about AK that advocates puishing if you're going to have to play it from out of position. It aknowledges that with really deep stacks this is probably inappropriate play but doesn't go on to clarify exactly what size stacks that it is appropriate.

I've been trying this mid to late in tourneys from early to mid position when I'm at < 25 xbb. I.E. spots where I'm easily going to end up bluffing away half my stack if my standard raise gets called and I miss the pot. So far I've pretty much just picked up the blinds which maybe is better than the leak I have from not knowing when not to continue on with a missed flop. But I'm not convinced that this is the best way to plug the leak because there's no way I can get away from a villain that holds AA/KK preflop and is yet to act.

Is this the type of play that is being advocated? If not then what spots is it advocating that you are better to just push preflop with AK out of position.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: AKo from out of position theory question?

it pretty clearly says that you should push when your stack is 2x-5x the size of the pot. More than that is risking too much (you will only get called by a hand that is better than yours).