Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Stealing with Junk and minraised preflop

Table is fairly passive. Hero is second biggest stack at the table and has been taking down pots preflop once or twice an orbit with raising from position and liberally defending my blinds post flop when they're raised. So my image is pretty laggy but in truth I've just been getting hit hard with the deck with big aces and mid pairs. I've only shown down two hands the entire tourney a limped multiway KQo that made two pair and trippled me up and a AKs raised from the big blind in a pot where half the table limped and I got called by a short stack with trash. Villain has been fairly passive limping alot and then folding to raises preflop.

Low buyin MTT ~27/50 left, Mid tourney, top 5 spots pay.

MP2 T45000 Hero (5th largest in tourney, 2nd at table)
C0 T10000 Villain

Blinds 150/300, 9 handed.

Preflop Hero dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Folded to Hero in MP2, Hero raises to t1200,C0 min raises to t2400, folded back to hero, hero ?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Stealing with Junk and minraised preflop

You are already pot committed, getting 2-1 you have to call.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM

i would fold, personally. i think you're going to win almost never when the board doesn't hit you, and even when it does, you have no idea if your drawing to 5 outs against an overpair or are ahead. on the flip side, folding here kills some of your steal equity, so you'll have to go into a shell. but i don't think calling here and check-folding the flop is worth the somewhat preserved FE.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:50 PM

Anoher reason why Im calling here is not to show weakness. If other players notice you falling back to a raise like this, they might put the hammer on you more often.

Who knows, you could flop a two pair, although unlikely. Even though it's a [censored] hand, I dont want to show too much weakness by backing off a raise that only doubled mine.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 PM

I think maybe your right Schwza about folding which is why I posted the hand. I'm getting good pot odds, but unless I flop two pair or trips I'm not going to have a clue where I stand (and I don't have the pot odds for that). I'm out of position. The size of the pot post flop is going to be big enough that if I hit top pair or middle pair and take a real stab at it that I'm pretty much committed to call a push given the pot odds. This guy really looks like he's trapping so if I hit top pair/middle pair and go into call down way ahead/way behind mode then I may very well spew off chips on the flop only to get shut out on the turn/river.

Folding seems so risk averse though and there's at least some posibility this is a resteal attempt with a marginal hand.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:06 PM

When this happens to me I basically just assume I am playing for his stack and then figure out whether I have the implied odds to continue.

That makes this hand a clear fold and 22 a clear call.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Yeah, I think your approach is best. If I had a small pair or a mid suited connector I'd definitely call or if villain and I were both really deep stacked I'd be more inclined to call with any two because I probably win his whole stack if I hit the flop hard and he has an overpair.