Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Rebuy

1500 starting chips, unlimited rebuys till 1st break, add-on at 1st break. Is there a number of chips that you could have that you would not add-on?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Rebuy

For me it's aroung 20k when i won't addon... no math to suppport that, just a personal thing, if anyone has the 'correct' number when it doesn't become +EV i'd be interested.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 PM

For me, it's how much I have invested at that point. If I have 10K in chips and I'm still riding on one or two buy-ins, I increase my investment by 50%-33% for a 20% increase in chips, so I won't do it. If I'm already on 10 and a 10% increase will give me 20% more chips, I will.

That makes sense to me but whether it's the "right" way to think of it in Sklansky terms I don't know. Very curious how others approach this.

Kirk
Old 09-05-2005, 08:38 PM

always add-on
Old 09-05-2005, 08:41 PM

Sklansky addresses this issue (briefly) in TPFAP:

"Basically, the more chips you have, the more you would be inclined not to add-on.... [A] decent rule of thumb would be to add-on if you have less than the average number of chips at that point, and not otherwise."

He adds two exceptions:

1. "...add-ons far in excess of the original buy-in."
2. "...tournaments... that charge less per chip for your add-on than they do for your original buy-in". (p. 94)

In these cases, he said you should almost always add-on. My own rule of thumb in the Party R+A tourneys (where you start with 1000 and can add-on 1500) is that I add-on unless I am a huge chipleader, usually more than twice the average stack, or if I'm very short-stacked and have basically given up on that day's tourney.

To Sklansky's list, I'd add the size of your stack relative to those at your table. If you don't have a stack that is more than twice the size of everyone else's at the table, you should probably add-on.

Finally, don't forget to check the average chip count AFTER everyone finishes adding on. It usually goes up considerably because nearly everyone adds on, and even if you are way ahead at the beginning of the add-on period, everyone else's rebuys could bump that number up pretty substantially.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:43 PM

i'm not sure what's correct, but i'm pretty sure deciding based on how much you've invested already is probably wrong...

you should make each decision without influencee from previous decisions. If it's +EV to addon w/ X amount of chpis then do it no matter what, if not then don't.

I'm pretty sure theres a point at which your chips that you are buying arent worth the $10, but it must have to do with how big your stack is, and how manyy chips are in play.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 PM

If I have around the average stack then I don't add on. I think you have to evaluate how you are doing and the table you are at. If I have a lot more chips than the average at my table I don't add on either.

I just don't buy into the always add on mentality. I have done rebuys where I didn't even rebuy or add on and did just fine. I like to evaluate my table and players before I worry about adding on. Especially if there is some all-in fool at the table, then just take his chips.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:48 PM

I always add on, even if i'm #1 in chips, cause most everyone else adds on as well.

Exit, Have you slept yet!? you're a machine man.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, it's how much I have invested at that point. If I have 10K in chips and I'm still riding on one or two buy-ins, I increase my investment by 50%-33% for a 20% increase in chips, so I won't do it. If I'm already on 10 and a 10% increase will give me 20% more chips, I will.

That makes sense to me but whether it's the "right" way to think of it in Sklansky terms I don't know. Very curious how others approach this.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not the right way to think about it. The amount of money it cost you to build the stack you have now is irrelevant. If you are paying $5 more into a prize pool of $25K, the only question is whether the add-on will increase your EV by more than 1/5000 (ie, 5/25,000). Obviously you can't calculate anywhere near accurately, but the percentage of that 25K provided by you is irrelevant- that money is gone now.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:53 PM

SLeep? psh i laugh at sleep.

and no, my dad wanted to go out to dinner so i didnt get the chance

and now i came back and saw the 150 registering... and i can't just let that go withuot playing it.

And since i'm playing the 150... i'll have to play the 25k... and this story probably ends with my collapsing after the 3:15 ( [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] )