Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 12:49 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Hmm let\'s count the mistakes.

Live B&M 4/8 game

It's 10:30 in the am much too early for poker. All of the red chip and green chip players are still in bed but here I am at the old card barn. I must be sick. Most of the 10/20 crew is lounging not wanting to play in the unchallenging 4/8. (Hint they can't beat 4/8 either) I started egging on a guy who keeps threatening to buy ten racks, the next thing I know he's buying ten racks, and so am I.

Well if you have ever seen me play I’ve taken on Ed’s pyramid stacking routine. I did violate Mason’s description of the technique though and I had a tri-level going in the 9 hole. Oddly this put quite a bit of my stack beyond the action line. I thought of going with new architecture but decided that I’m just set in my ways and good design is good design. Our anti-Hero went with a simple double stacked square that was frankly unflattering. If one is going to power buy one needs to power stack too.

The action in the game has been a little um well loose. (It is after all 4-8) Normally 5 or so to the flop for 2 bets with every 6th hand or so capped. What are you going to do?

We are 8 handed because a player got up to change tables after the power buy.

I’m in LMP and have AdQd.

Folds to an EMP player who limps, he’s a tight player who raises with 2 hands. His limp is to be respected. 1 fold and an MP Player on my right raises, it’s his birthday and he’s here to “gambol”. He will raise just about anything he will play here. I smooth call, a loose sometimes wild button calls and an as yet quite BB comes along.

Flop is A K Q r

Checks to Tight guy who bets out, our raiser calls, and I raise. The rest of the field folds and tight guy calls as does the pre-flop raiser.

Turn: J putting a spade 2 flush on the board

Tight guy checks, our loose raisers looks down at his stack then at the board and silently taps the felt, I check behind.

River A

Tight guy bets out, pre flop raiser mucks, and I raise, Tight guy looks unhappy and calls.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Hmm let\'s count the mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]
I smooth call,

[/ QUOTE ]

1 mistake on flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd mistake. Not really though, you should check here to vary play some of the time.

Other than reraising preflop, you played it fine. With the AQs, I think smooth calling is fine. I like it if you know the preflop raiser will bet pretty much any flop. Let's let people in and build a really big pot.

So, given the circumstances I think this is a reasonable way to play this hand. Zero mistakes.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Results and thoughts

Our tight player looked a bit disgruntled with his hand. I rolled AQ for second nut. He looked at his hand and rolled what I put him on AJ. The table was a good bit more excited about the hand than either of us were.

As I have listened to re-creations of jackpot hands I often wonder how the players even got to the flop not to mention the river. I watched one hand that was between 23s and 55 that was 3 bet pre-flop. The 5's were two running fives with the last five being the straight flush 5. Lots of action on all rounds.

In this case if Mr tight had raised pre-flop, the player to my right would have 3 bet with TT and I would have mucked. If I had 3 bet pre-flop (something I was on the edge of doing and would have with AQo) our tight player would have mucked. On the flop our tight player almost mucked because he thought the chance of a set was too high with my cold call, but he called one for image.

On the turn our early raiser catches the nuts and decides to checkraise. He thought there was no way I would ever pass the chance to bet the turn. Had I bet tight player mucks. Now had the early raiser bet the turn, I muck and the tight player mucks.

As we talked through the hand off the table it was frankly amazing we got to the end.

Oh and having a 10K stack on a 4/8 table is quite the ego boost. I asked Mr only bought in for 125 Big Bets if he was going to bring some real money to the table.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:24 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the 10/20 crew is lounging not wanting to play in the unchallenging 4/8. (Hint they can't beat 4/8 either)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who're these guys? Most guys i see on 10-20 play like most 4-8 players. Sure they weren't the 20-40 guys? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

btw...id have reraised preflop if im coming in.

b
Old 05-02-2004, 06:29 PM

I agree on the reraise pre-flop except that it's AQs. With AQs if I let a few more players in it's not quite so bad when I've really screwed up by playing a dominated hand. It's not quite as good as AKs were you can really pick and choose your field but the flush adds a nice security blanket.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Results and thoughts

Did you get the 10K in $1 chips? That would make one hell of a pyramid [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I guess he shouldn't have looked unhappy when he called.

Nice hand,
Bob T.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you get the 10K in $1 chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten racks of $1 chips would be 1000 chips (10 racks x 100 chips per rack). Your lucky poker doesn't require any math skills. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2004, 10:48 PM

I think the 10K is from a bad beat jackpot of some sort.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Except you may have trouble really getting paid for the flush given your position to the raiser. Unless many are willing to call 2 cold when you jam it on the flop.

b

btw...Congrats on the jackpot. Wife musta loved hearing how ya "won" 10K in the 50-100 game. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2004, 01:53 AM

The Jackpot came in a Rack of Black thankfully. Our humble little card room doesn't carry colors much above that.