Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Quick Question About American Currency

Is it illegal to write on/deface an American note?

I know it is illegal to alter or destroy american coins other than pennies, but I was curious about paper currency.

Anyone know, or know where to find the info?

Thanks

PG
Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Quick Question About American Currency

I think it is, but everyone does it anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is, but everyone does it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I ask is I was thinking about those 'Where's George' dollar bills from a couple years ago and how you never see them anymore, then it occurred to me that once banks got hold of the dollar, they would have turned it in to the US mint to get a fresh one.

I was just curious if it was illegal to write on them and if it is illegal to advocate such an act.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 AM

It depends on what you intent is. Defacing currency is a crime, but the reason for the law is to prevent counterfeiting so if you are doing it for another reason I doubt you will ever get prosecuted. Now if you are trying to use currency currently in circulation in clothing or earrings or something like that, then I think you should contact a lawyer.

If you are writing down the license plate of the truck that just ran over your mother on the back of a Franklin then you are fine (unless you live in Santa Barbara in which case Tom Sneddon will be paying you a visit).
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 AM

I work for a bank and our tellers write on the bills before giving them to some customers.

We often write happy birthday on a bill if it is someones birthday. Also we do not turn in or destroy bills that are written on unless they have explicit words on them.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:08 PM

From the US Treasury Department:
(Bolding Added)

[ QUOTE ]

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is:

United States Secret Service
950 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20223.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is legal unless it is rendered unfit for circulation. At my old job, I used to make the cashiers get $100 bills signed by a supervisor, and one of the supervisors refused saying it is illegal, so I pulled up this from the Treasury to show him.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the US Treasury Department:
(Bolding Added)

[ QUOTE ]

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is:

United States Secret Service
950 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20223.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is legal unless it is rendered unfit for circulation. At my old job, I used to make the cashiers get $100 bills signed by a supervisor, and one of the supervisors refused saying it is illegal, so I pulled up this from the Treasury to show him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for taking the time to post that. That was helpful.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:25 PM

no prob
Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I ask is I was thinking about those 'Where's George' dollar bills from a couple years ago and how you never see them anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Paper money in the US has a ridiculously short shelf life (if I remember right, it would be months - not years.) This would explain the missing where's george bills.