Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2003, 11:26 PM

Default Single table tourney hand

Hi all,

I wanted to get some input on this hand. I'm not sure, but I think I might have made a mistake which cost me the tournament.

Single table tournament ($5) This table (except for this hand...) is relatively tight/passive, not a lot of people seeing the flop and not a lot of betting on the later rounds.

Limits are 50/100, and I have around $700 or so in my stack.

I'm in EMP with A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]
Not a super hand, I know, but I'd been getting such crap the whole time I was getting a little impatient and wanted to play. It was folded to me and I limped in. MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, and BB checks.

Six see the flop (very unusual for this table)

K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Checked around, I had planed to fold if anyone bet on the flop, with a pair on the board, and a flush draw, I figured a gutshot straight wouldn't have been worth the risk.

Turn Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Made the nut straight, but now there's a pair on the board, and two flush draws. I bet out, MP calls, CO raises, button calls, SB calls, BB folds. I three bet (I'm still not sure why...was this a good move or just stupid? I was trying to represent a full-house) MP folds everyone else calls.

River is a heart

I bet out because I think I might be able to force out a flush, at least a weak one. Since the CO didn't cap it I'm guessing he doesn't have a full house (maybe trip kings or something or maybe I'd be chopping with him). Everyone calls. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Button had the nut flush to scoop the pot, not sure about anyone else as they mucked. My stack was destroyed after loosing this hand, I managed to stage a small (read lucky) comeback, but still finished in fifth place.

What do you think?

Thanks,
jHE
Old 03-21-2003, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Single table tourney hand

1) why didn't you come in with a raise if you were gonna play this?

2) why on earth would any flush fold after having gone to three bets on the turn?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:07 PM

First off, I'll assume it's a limit tournament. And I'll assume the table is still full (9 or 10 players).

If you are going to play that hand out of position you have to raise it pre-flop. But I say muck it in a tournament unless you are first in from the cut-off or button. If you are down to 5 players or less then I would play it from anywhere.

Flop play is fine, betting the turn is ok. You get called and raised, then a cold call. Stop right here. for future reference, cold caller is on a flush draw. If the flush hits on the river, get out.

I like the 3 bet on the turn. If you are behind you'll know soon enough. When the heart comes on the river though you are done. The pot is huge though so I might make a crying call, but betting is just suicide.

Pretty hard to get away from this hand though. If a club or diamond comes on the river you have a big stack. Tough luck, raise or fold pre-flop next time.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:25 PM

Your assumptions were correct, full table and limit tournament (should have mentioned that sorry).

Looking back I definately agree I should have raised preflop, the person who won with the flush was holding A8s (or something close to that...the ace and a middle card), so he might have even folded to my raise, or at least my bet on the turn would have meant more.

I agree with the coldcall as well, my failure to notice this (and put him on the flush draw) was ultimately what did me in (along with everything else). I'm glad you agree with the 3 bet on the turn, that was one of the big things I was unsure about. It's a big risk, I know, but it did give me some good information, his failure to cap it means I'm probably ahead or at least even (too bad I was paying attention to the wrong person [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] )

Will definately not bet the river in this situation again, especially since I was the last to raise on the turn, it might even get checked around for fear of a check-raise (I doubt it, but maybe). The pot was indeed huge and I probably would have called one bet, mostly because my stack was so destroyed I was esentially out of the tournament if I didn't take it down. Tough break, but a good learning expereince.

Thanks for your advice, more hands to come soon,
jHE