Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Fold top 2 pair?

This is Party 2/4. UTG+1 is pretty loose preflop (40/7/1.8) and somewhat aggressive over the 30+ hands I have on him. Button is a total donk and basically has been calling down with any pair.

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP1. UTG+1 calls. Folded to me and I raise. Folds around to Button who cold-calls. Blinds fold. UTG 3-bets. I call. Button calls.

Flop(3 players for 7.5SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, I bet, Button calls, UTG+1 calls

Turn(3 players for 5.25 BB) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, I bet, Button calls, UTG+1 raises...

I have a very strong feeling that UTG+1 has been looking forward to getting to C/R this turn since I'm on his immediate left. What's the plan from here? Call down? Fold? 3-bet?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Fold top 2 pair?

I think this is an automatic three-bet to pressure the button behind you. A turn check-raise usually says "I can beat top pair" but does not come close to saying "I can beat top two pair." You're certainly slowing down to more aggression, but if checked to on the river I find a value bet.

Folding at this point in the hand is not even remotely close to an option. Notice that, though sample size is small, villain has been very aggressive so far; a 1.8 post-flop agg. factor is very high for someone who plays 40% of their hands.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 AM

no folding allowed.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

nice avatar. me no fold. tree bet, call down to further aggression(UI). bet river if checked to.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Seeing that UTG+1 is pretty willing to raise PF it's really hard for me to put him on KK or JJ, I'd also rule out AJ for the same reason, he probably would've raised PF.

I would raise the turn here and make him pay for a draw.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:04 AM

with what hands do people UTG first only call with, and then reraise with after someone else raises ?
Mostly AA and KK.
So no 3 betting allowed i would say.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with what hands do people UTG first only call with, and then reraise with after someone else raises ?
Mostly AA and KK.
So no 3 betting allowed i would say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has become a fairly well-established fact on this board that small stakes players (particularly loose, action players) like to limp re-raise with crap.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:10 AM

Yeah, I call down too. Seems very possible UTG is "opposite man" who did the retarded limp/reraise AA/KK UTG preflop, and then flopped his set & checked like those donks always do. This is definately a way ahead/way behind situation, the only river that the 3rd wheel can catch to win is a 1 card broadway. I would be less scared of giving a cheaper 4 outer to the button than possible be getting capped by AA/KK/JJ from the limp-reraiser.

jvs
Old 08-11-2005, 11:11 AM

thats not my experience
Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 AM

you definitely can't fold here, especially because of outs to the full. but I don't think I can find it in me to 3-bet. having it capped makes me want to throw up because I still have to pay him off on the river, and unless he LRR'd with AQ or trash, you're losing or splitting. so I call it down.