Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: K9s BB - kill me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All checks are weak, even if I'm planning to checkraise? Doesn't make sense to me. Flop smoothcall was to set up turn checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an alternate line, you could staple a piece of paper to your forehead that says "HEY! I FLOPPED TRIPS! WATCH ME SLOWPLAY!"

Betting into aggressive opposition with near-lock hands is surprisingly deceptive.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one thinks you are betting out w/ a 9

if they spike a pair, they will probably raise you
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop aggressor was supposed to keep betting and if he didn't the aggressive CO should have bet and I could blow MP2 off his flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're describing wouldn't be the easiest call someone with a flush draw would ever have to make.

But I thought I'd point out that, in general, you shouldn't expect to be able to drive out flush draws. I think most players with a flush draw will stay in until they've missed on the turn and the river.

And, usually, they're correct to do so.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 AM

If you want to check-raise, check-raise the flop to make them pay to draw on you. Then lead out on the turn, don't give them a free card. What do you think?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 AM

I like what entity had to say
Old 08-02-2005, 02:21 AM

Ya stop trying to be so tricky. Get your money when you can. Keep the overcallers and charge the draws. Bet, bet, bet.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 AM

This pot was pretty small, if CO bet the turn and I raised, MP2 would get getting ~3:1 to hit his flush with 1 card to come which is ~4.2:1. If I bet out, he's also getting about 3:1 but a) he could count on CO's overcard and b) calling 2 big bets cold from a checkraise is a lot more intimidating.

This hand was posted because it was different from my normal play. Anyway, lesson learned! Haha, bet bet bet bet bet. Thanks all for getting me back on track.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 AM

There are some situations where this line might be good, but I don't think any line that involves checking the turn is good here. Plenty of people will stab at that flop against one limper and a blind, then give up when both call.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All checks are weak, even if I'm planning to checkraise? Doesn't make sense to me. Flop smoothcall was to set up turn checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

As an alternate line, you could staple a piece of paper to your forehead that says "HEY! I FLOPPED TRIPS! WATCH ME SLOWPLAY!"

Betting into aggressive opposition with near-lock hands is surprisingly deceptive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though this would never pass as legitimate poker scholarship, I will add an anecdote to give you an idea how deceptive betting out trips can be (and it's funny because all these players play so bad):

Foxwoods 20/40. The EP players is an occassionally decent but tight weak player. The SB is a crazy old dude who oscillates between laggishness and tight-weakness with no seeming pattern.

Three limpers around to the SB who raises, called around. Flop comes:

Flop: J J 6

SB bets, EP player raises, folded around to SB who calls.

Turn: 8

SB checks, EP bets, SB calls.

River: A

SB bets, EP starts crying like a small girl child about how the dealer put up a two-outer, and then mucks a J face up, convinvced SB had Aces. SB flashes AK.

Much discussion then began around the table about the hand, because it was such a display of tremendous bitchiness by the EP player. EP could not possibly get it through his head as to why SB would continue to call all the way with AK.

When asked, SB's only reply was that:

"How could he have a J on that board? Why would he bet a J? I figured he had a pocket pair."

So the result of the play was the EP actually made an excellent deceptive fast-play on the flop, which he then disastrously misplayed and allowed SB to take the pot.

SB's absolute determination that EP could never possibly have trips because he raised the flop is the moral of the story though.

That is all.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fastplay is the new slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not new. Search the archives for posts by bdk3clash that contain "quads."
Old 08-02-2005, 12:12 PM

When you try and c/r rather than lead your not only letting the hand get checked through but also missing valuable 3-betting opporutnties. Be more inclined to just bet and pay off your good hands when OOP.