Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Value bet on river

Does this hand deserve a value bet on the river?

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB
Old 08-01-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Value bet on river

y
Old 08-01-2005, 09:35 PM

sup,

I probably wouldn't show that he checked. that might skew some of the responses, since now we KNOW he doesn't have a K. but to try and be unbiased, yes I will value bet this - you still beat all Qs that he may have, 5s will usually let you know on the turn, he may (depends on the player) pay off with a 9 or a PP. basically you need to decide how often he has a K, a runner runner flush, or will bluff raise you (if you intend to fold) versus the times he has a 9 or a Q EDIT: or some other crap he wants to call with.

then again I play shorthanded where no one trusts anyone. your game conditions or reads may warrant otherwise.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM

yes. I think HU he will let you know on the turn if he's got a 5, and runner runner flush just doesn't happen that much. I think you'll see hearts or a 9 here a lot.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 PM

it would have to be hearts with the Q to have a busted flush draw that will call the river, unless it has the Kh. I agree that a busted flush is part of his range, but that would lend more weight to inducing a bluff as opposed to a value bet.

there's so much value in betting though that it's not a major consideration