Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Lost with Jacks

Sorry about the multiple posts all of a sudden, but I'm really in a bad run at the moment and I honestly don't know if I'm playing well. Villain is pretty loose and fairly aggressive.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($671)
CO ($523.02)
Button ($620.95)
SB ($706.95)
Hero ($573)
UTG ($1882.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls $6, MP calls $6, CO calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $34</font>, UTG calls $34, MP folds, CO folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($98) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, UTG calls $75.

Turn: ($248) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $180</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $360</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $788
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Lost with Jacks

What range of hands do you put UTG on w/ a call preflop (and calls your raise with more players to come), then calls a bet on a pretty drawless board, then limit raises you on the turn. Looks like a set, but really depends on opponent and maybe his read of you. Do you raise from the BB like that as a steal ever? I would have raised more personally from the blind (whenever I raise from the blind I raise more than the pot - bluff or real hand).

I think an alternative line for some pot control and to take advantage of your opponent's aggressiveness is to check the turn and take it from there. If he bets, then you can call or push all-in. Or call then block the river, or check call / fold again given player's tendancies.

As far as the bad run, if you aren't already, start playing 1 table for an hour or two - as that usually stops my cold streaks pretty quickly and gives me some confidence.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:11 PM

What do you think he's calling $75 with on that board that you beat? I would say it's 66-55 as a LAG would probably raise TT, but I can also see him with Aces if he's tricky. He didn't need to raise you as he had position and gave you credit for JJ-KK from your raise from the blinds. Set seems more likely, though. Just my $.02 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM

After making a nice raise from BB, why did you play it passively after that? Overbet on the flop -- say $120. Will make your decision(s) much easier on later streets.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After making a nice raise from BB, why did you play it passively after that? Overbet on the flop -- say $120. Will make your decision(s) much easier on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

easier sure but optimizing ev i think not
Old 06-28-2005, 05:55 PM

If I check the turn, I lose regardless of what the other player is holding, because I can't call down on the turn and river. If I bet the turn and get raised, I have to fold, and if I bet the turn and get called, I'm almost definitely behind as well.

I really don't know what to do here, and the flop is automatic for me. Do I give up after the flop? That seems way too weak, since there are a lot of 3/6 players who will call down the preflop raiser with a weak pair, at least on the flop.