Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 06:24 PM

Default AK vs. a Donk: How to proceed on the flop.

History on Donk: He's on a death wish to go broke (tilt?). Last 3 hands he's been in on he's been all-in on the flop or turn to win two (two uncontested). Stack has gone from $60 to $20 to $45.

Folds to Donk ($45) in LP who makes it $5 to go. Hero (covers) makes it $20 to go next to speak w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Donk flat-calls.

FLOP: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Pot: approx $42

Donk insta-pushes for $25. Hero?

Feels like I am ahead pre-flop if he just flat calls the raise. Either that or he has AA,KK or something awful like 55 and is going to push on a non-A flop. Thoughts?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: AK vs. a Donk: How to proceed on the flop.

Fold, you got ace high. Either put him all-in preflop. Or, just call him preflop. When some maniac donk goes on tilt, I don't reraise them preflop without QQ-AA.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
put him all-in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] I like that line. I think I made the mistake of thinking he would just fold/push (which I insta call).
Old 09-03-2005, 06:49 PM

I'd probably fold here. You aren't getting the odds to chase overcards and he almost certainly has a pair here. If I have a gutshot on this flop or if there is a heart out there, it might change this to a call.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:33 PM

I think its important to know what he held on the third push (you say that 2 were uncontested, so i assume this means you saw his cards on the third).

Otherwise its an easy fold. He could easily have garbage like Jx sooted or some such bullshit, or if you're lucky he'll have merely a draw, like a diamond flush or some straight, which is still given you shitty odds. He probably has a small pair i'd think, but you have nothing, no draw, no pair. easy fold. Shoulda put him all in pre-flop given his table persona. Of course, if he has pushed with nothing, i'd probably reverse this to an relativly easy call.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Pot is laying you 2.7 to 1. You're about 3 to 1 to hit an A or K.

If I think theres a chance hes bluffin with nothing I'm probably calling.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is laying you 2.7 to 1. You're about 3 to 1 to hit an A or K.

If I think theres a chance hes bluffin with nothing I'm probably calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep me too. You did give yourself a tricky decision though. I am pushing it allin pre-flop and see if he wants to call when there is no play left!

Remember odds are he has no pair as you you will only flop a pair 1 in 3. Chances are he missed the flop as well. I think we are ahead here or can hit an out if we need it enough times to make the call profitable.

Next time push pre-flop though, simplifies things somewhat. I have pushed with AK a ton of times against these players and as often as not they will call with junky suited hands like J4 or T8, or weaker and badly dominated aces. Sure you get stacked sometimes but on average you will be ahead pre-flop so have +EV to do it.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:56 PM

I call and reload if he's ahead and I don't suckout. Pray you get a hand against him before someone else.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:06 PM

The way to play a donk on a deathwish is to either get him all in preflop or to make a hand and let him bet it. I'd either decide to play for my stack when he raises PF or I'd just smooth call and try to flop top pair and get paid taht way.

Do you think you're making donk fold a pair with your PF re-raise? I'm guessing not...

KoW
Old 09-03-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or to make a hand and let him bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, tight/weak rocks against maniac donks on tilt. Heck, even loose/weak/passive works.