Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 02:58 AM

Default I think it is time to take a little break from sngs

Well, after having a small losing 1000 game set of $215s and a 500 game set of 109s with only a small gain, I think it is time for me to take a little break from the sngs. I "think" I am going to learn to play limit, or at least play it for about a week or so to see how I like it. Right now, sngs just seem like such a grain. Maybe it is the bad run of cards or maybe it simply isnt taking any time off. I almost feel as if I am on some kind of "life tilt" where nothing seems to have a point. Hopefully I can figure out how to make this change. I have no clue why I even posted this. I guess I just needed to ramble.

That all being said, anyone know where to direct me to learn some good limit skills? Any direction would be greatly appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: I think it is time to take a little break from sngs

small stakes holdem
Old 08-28-2005, 03:13 AM

I hit a 1000 game break even stretch at the 55s and was miserable the entire time. Take a vacation from poker entirely. I know you are not much of a partier, but go out of town somewhere. Your br will thank you for it. As far as limit goes, you obviously know that experiene is the best teacher, but, I learned most of what I know from SSH.

Beefcake
Old 08-28-2005, 03:14 AM

Yeah...i've read all the 2+2 books on limit. I am rpetty sure I know what I am doing. i was up $1000 in 15/30 today after 1000 hands, so that was nice. Hopefully the trend will continue.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:30 AM

bro with this+the college post...i think you need to take a break from poker, seriously

i assume you have a massive stash of cash some place, go travel for a month...5k can last you well over a month in Europe, do 2 months if you can. go nail some hot spanish chics, party in clubs with 30,000 people in Ibiza, check out some architecture and cathedrals, live some life bro!!

There is a helluva lot more to life than poker.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:33 AM

a) what Degen said
b) play another form of poker its the best thing I've done for myself recently and couldn't be happier about it.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:36 AM

i played with you a couple times on PP 215. you seem to be a solid player. so i dont understand how you could lose money over 1000 215 sng. must be extremely bad luck. if you think SNG is boring then i think limit poker would be even more boring for you.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:59 AM

Changing it up is a good idea - i get burnt out on the SNGs too - after way fewer games mind you - and i think that most of us on here feel that way at one time or another. i myself switch between SNGs multi-tabling small stakes limit or throw in a pot limit omaha tourney here and there to mix it up. I always come back to the SNGs but it feels good to change it up. good luck.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:08 AM

Do you ever do table selection at 109/215? I make a point of never playing at a table at which you sit down. My results at 109s improved a lot after I started avoiding the good players.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:20 AM

i don't mean to sound like a dick, but extending from what degen said, i think this is just about the worst possible time for you to decide to drop out of school, since you're admittedly on life tilt.

then again, whatever.

if you are taking a break from sngs, and from school, i'd suggest not playing any poker for say, a month, maybe more.

you're young and wealthy, pack a small suitcase (or don't) buy a one way plane ticket, and get going. (the idea is to buy other clothes and one way plane tickets as they become necessary.) live a little. don't play poker.

citanul