Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Absolute Maniac Omaha play

I was playing a live game 50$ buy in recently, but they were playing No Limit Omaha (if there is such a thing) And I was completely lost. 2 of the 4 players would raise 4-8 dollars 80% of the hands!! I sat back and couldn't do anything! I was going to sit until I had AA or KK and limp push, but I have no idea how to play these insane games.

What should I be doing? What hands can call a 4$ raise with .25 .50 blinds? Is this why it is a pot limit game?

The only hand I called a raise with was AQKJ ds (should I push this?) ont he button and mucked on the flop that was all unsuited rags.

Any advice?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Absolute Maniac Omaha play

That kind of ridiculous hyperaggressive play is common in my home games also. One thing I noticed is that if you have a good hand, put in a standard raise, and the LAG's will just call with junk. Also, if you have a good hand, let the LAG's do the betting, check-call to the river, than raise on the river if you have the nuts or something close. (AKA rope-a-dope)
Old 10-26-2005, 03:50 AM

You guys are missing some fundamental issues about PLO.

The hands that can stand a big preflop raise are specifically these:

EVERY PLAYABLE HAND

Since no other hand is much of a favorite over any other, you don't have to fold marginal hands, especially with 10x the preflop raise left to bet postflop.

Furthermore, if you insist on looking at this game from a holdem perspective simply reraise everytime you think you hold a better hand than your opponent.

Better yet, gambool a little bit, its a home game, what are you waiting for AA for?

Preflop play is sooooooo unimportant.

You should all sit in PokerGoblin's home game where double and triple straddles are not uncommon. Blind potsize raises out of the 4th straddle are about the most fun I can think of.

Oh and how the fishies complain about the bad beats. . .
Old 10-26-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop play is sooooooo unimportant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Advice that can get you broke if you are not a super reader and do not recognize trap situations.

While it is true that the best AA is not much more than a 2-1 favorite over any other hand, and that you can often double off players who can't let it go, position is fairly important postflop, especially regarding playing drawing hands. And if players with AA are truly tight, then you really don't have implied odds to see any flop against it especially headsup, because they will fold. And regarding seeing the flop with any playable hand, if you hold AK98ds, how glad are you going to be to see an A or K on the flop or even both when there have been 2 raises preflop from non-maniacs? You definitely do have to gamble if you want others to gamble with you, but you don't have to be reckless about it in early positions.

However, one of the reasons why you should ignore extremely weak-tight advice as in SS2 and raise from early positions with the hand I gave above, is so that you can often find out if AA/KK is behind you when they reraise and you can dump that hand, since you are most likely only going to flop a weak draw and any flop with A or K can be a stack dumper.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if players with AA are truly tight, then you really don't have implied odds to see any flop against it especially headsup, because they will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have J998 (or whatever hand you claim I should be folding) and he raises me to announce he has AA, but will fold when the flop looks bad it's still obviously very profitable.

When the flop comes 26T rainbow and he checks, you just bet pot. If he bets then just call. He'll check the turn and again you bet pot.

I mean seriously if you can't find a profitable situation in poker when you know what the guy has, you are either being unimaginative or just play weak.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:55 PM

heh maybe I play weak but if I have 45$ in front of me, what kind of hand am I going to invest 5$ to see a flop with?

They will continuation bet 100% of the time and it will usually be 4 way -_-
Old 10-26-2005, 04:50 PM

You need to out maniac the maniacs. If its an NL structure, this is favorable for you. Review the Hutchinson point system, wait for a 30 point+ hand, and simply push until the stacks are deep against play like this. Once the stacks are deep enough that you are investing only about 5% of your hand preflop to answer a raise then you can get into the business of seeing flops and playing the hands from there. But if they are so crazy that they are just pushing in whether flops hit them or not then I would wait for good hands and shove.

If you can't stand the risk involved get out of the game. A $50 NL Omaha game is closer to $200 NL hold em in terms of the rollercoaster you will be on to play effectively.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And if players with AA are truly tight, then you really don't have implied odds to see any flop against it especially headsup, because they will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have J998 (or whatever hand you claim I should be folding) and he raises me to announce he has AA, but will fold when the flop looks bad it's still obviously very profitable.

When the flop comes 26T rainbow and he checks, you just bet pot. If he bets then just call. He'll check the turn and again you bet pot.

I mean seriously if you can't find a profitable situation in poker when you know what the guy has, you are either being unimaginative or just play weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about potential trap hands with A or K in them versus a player who has one of those. However, my comment still applies regarding other hands if you will be headsup against someone with AA who won't go broke with it.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Review the Hutchinson point system, wait for a 30 point+ hand, and simply push until the stacks are deep against play like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt the hutchinson point system for holdem?

Wouldnt I need say, 40+ points to be able to shove? A hand like 78JT would have 30 points =-0
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM

buyin for 1k and shove every hand [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]