Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Flush draw all-in

I apologize if there are good threads on this subject - have tried searching without success.

3 times in the last 2 days, I have had a strong starting hand, and caught a strong piece on the flop. Opponents have gone all-in with a flush draw (in all these circumstances we have had equivalent stacks). Needless to type, all 3 caught their flushes.

These were not insignificant pushes, but rather major moves.

I do not remember seeing this strategy much in the past. Are other people seeing this frequently? There is obviously no defense.

example

JJ, flop comes Jdiamonds rag spade rag spade
villian goes all-in for around 800 chips (approximately my stack size). I know that I have the best possible hand here, prior to the turn.

I am happy to push here. I was also happy to call - although of course both remaining cards were spades.

Any thoughts - is this a defensible move, or just the tariff for playing against donkeys?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Flush draw all-in

no way to protect urself here against donks.. yesterday i was playing a 10mtt.. got AA deep into the tourney (40 left outa 190) and guy raised me preflop by 4x bb and i reraised to narrow field to 8xbb.. flop came J48..he went all in. i called of course.. he showed 57 and cought 6 on river...but if it wasnt for peeps like this
Who would we make our money from?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:48 PM

Your defense is to call, and win 65% of the time (assuming they don't have additional outs). This move got popular because of Brunson's Super System, but donks seem to overuse it.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:50 PM

You have obviously been seeing the bad side of variance lately. But remember, you WANT them to call. YOU WANT THEM to hand you their money. Don't be a pussy.