Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Folding top pair to the turn CR.

I think this is almost a fold but not quite. If you're opponent is a good second level thinker and knows you probably have an A and knows you'll bet it then he'll checkraise because he has a set. It's stretching to say he knows you know this and will expect you to fold. However, he could be doing it for value with a worse hand or he could just think you're full of [censored]. You mentioned "you thought he was pretty passive" Change 'thoguht' to 'know' and 'pretty' to 'very' and it's a fold ez.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would make this fold live typically, but almost never online. Online there are a number of people who would checkraise any ace in this spot - if you really read him as someone who'd never do this, that's another thing, but it doesn't seem you have a strong read on him. A hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even something like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is possible. If he has aces up, you have outs. Generally, I probably won't fold this online if I don't know the player well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

I disagree. The pot is small, it's 2 bets to get to the showdown that gives us 8:2 and I don't think we're good better than 25% of the time.

-JT
Old 12-21-2005, 02:49 PM

I recently stopped playing for a weekend and instead closely studied a large number of hands I had put in over the last few months. I found some interesting PT data about a few situations. This is one of them. This is close, but given my data, I would fold. If this pot were larger, I would probably call them down. Or if this were a different player (very loose and aggressive) I would call down.

What I found startled me: The vast majority of times where I was check raised on the turn with a hand like this I was drawing to few outs or dead. I lost a lot of money on small pots to tight unimaginative players who I would never call down live, because it is so easy to hit the call button. NO MORE.

Mark

PS I also found that I was overdoing the flop aggression with hands that were too weak. (My flop aggression was over 3, I think it was too high). I also was betting the river too many times where I got raised (but that's only 1 lost bet)
Old 12-21-2005, 03:21 PM

I did just about this exact same thing. Villain is a tag. I'm not sure how good it was still...

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.33 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6.33 BB
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Flop play makes this one pretty different IMO and I would never fold there fwiw.