Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Default The sliding chart..

Hi,

After reading SSH I beleive that for some games even the tight starting chart is too loose. Feel free to correct!

I wondered about programming a small application which has a slider in it from 0 to 100% which indicates the percentage of people seeing the flop. Then the starting chart will automatically adjust itself depending on the percentage selected on the slider.

How does this sound and anyone want to help?

Peter
Old 12-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: The sliding chart..

Your idea is interesting. The reality is that so many decisions are situational, and an understanding of when and why hands are playable is much more important than slavishly following a chart based on the composition of limpers/raisers/callers. A chart misses too much.

Edit: fixed my grammer. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How does this sound

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like a lot of work and by the time you make this program you will be comfertable enough preflop that you will not need/want to use a starting hand chart. Also a good preflop strategy is about isolating weak raisers and limpers which cannot be represented on a chart.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM

To OP: I'm curious why you think the SSHE chart is too loose?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 PM

Well, just in comparison to a lot of other authors and systems I have seen.

Peter
Old 12-15-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, just in comparison to a lot of other authors and systems I have seen.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe...but, I think almost every poster here will swear by the concepts behind the chart as a crucial element of success (notice that I didn't say the chart itself rather the concepts behind them). If you are concerned it might be too loose for your current comfort, if you haven't already read it - read Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller and use the recommendations therein. It is admittedly tighter than SSHE tight and is meant to get you up annd running while you absorb the concepts that let you progress to looser starting standards.

edit: fixed typos.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:14 PM

I think you're confusing some concepts.

Determining the SSHE tight chart to be too loose sounds like you're not running into loose games, but rather aggressive games. In that case, yes, the charts are probably too loose (ex: you don't want to limp AT from MP when you're pretty sure there will be a raise and maybe a reraise behind you, even though the SSHE chart indicates you can).
Old 12-16-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(ex: you don't want to limp AT from MP when you're pretty sure there will be a raise and maybe a reraise behind you, even though the SSHE chart indicates you can).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-16-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wondered about programming a small application which has a slider in it from 0 to 100% which indicates the percentage of people seeing the flop. Then the starting chart will automatically adjust itself depending on the percentage selected on the slider.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what you are trying to train your brain to do naturally. You need to learn to adjust BOTH your pre-flop and post-flop play to suit the tightness/looseness of the games you are playing. You can only do this by playing lots of hands at your limits. The SSHE tight game suggestions are definitely sufficient for the .5/1 and 1/2 games at party--throw a few more hands into the mix and you have a pretty solid PF game.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:59 AM

A good idea for sure, but as others have pointed out there are too many situational factors that make this near impossible to do properly.

What site(s) are you playing at that the SSHE recommendations are too loose for?

Another point to make is that beginners (like myself too) commonly get too caught up in finer points of pre-flop play, when the biggest mistakes being made are happening post flop. I doubt that the SSHE recommendations have any gaping mistakes that are costing you too much at reasonable micro tables. The general advice is to follow something along the lines of the SSHE recommendations, with some minor adjustment where necessary, and to exercise reasonable site/table selection.