Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 07:32 PM

Default I cant beat $2 sngs / play money sngs (after 1000sngs)

i feel so awful, i am actually trying and following the strategies (such as Aleomagus guide) to the letter, as well as my own strategies etc., yet I always lose in both playmoney sngs and $2 sngs at pokerchamps.. this isnt just like "i played 4 sngs", its somewhat statistically significant because I've now played 1000sngs with an average loss of about 10% of my buyin before rake.

strangely, in $5 sng I dominate with 16.6% return on my buyins after rake.. (only after like 200 so not really significant)

can someone give me advice? i am very good at math but why do I suck so hard at microlimit sng?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: I cant beat $2 sngs / play money sngs (after 1000sngs)

ok, calm down, take a deep breath, just how much rake are you paying.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:40 PM

10% rake on all games

.. i just cant figure out how i am losing... i feel like i am always "bad beat" but i understand thats just in my mind and i must be winning coinflips just as often as I am losing them..
Old 06-26-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am actually trying and following the strategies (such as Aleomagus guide) to the letter

[/ QUOTE ]

This is likely your problem. If you're playing $2 SnGs, then you're not playing on Party. The guide is extremely specific to the T800 games at party. 1500 chip games are different.

Frankly, I've read the guide, and I'm not convinced that someone could beat the Party 11s if they followed it to the T and did nothing else. You've still got to pay some attention to whom you're playing, put people on calling ranges, etc.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:45 PM

u simply suck at poker, i mean suck. Good news is that simply following a system you can beat all the low limit sngs( i do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and we all do really)
Old 06-26-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its somewhat statistically significant because I've now played 1000sngs with an average loss of about 10% of my buyin before rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm really trying to help, so don't get me wrong on this.

If you've played 1000 of $2 SNGs and playmoney SNG (I don't understand playing so many playmoney SNGs, but fine), and you can't win, I think poker is simply not for you. It might look harsh, but honestly, I'm 100% sure you can find yourself another hobby/game in which you'll succeed more and enjoy. Don't waste your time on poker. And I truely mean it as an advice.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:47 PM

obviously a bit adapted for 1500 count game

this is my strategy:

level 1-3: AA KK QQ AK, call pocket pairs for set value
Level 4-6: AQ, AJ/KQs in late

after this, blinds are 200/400 and I steal with good aces from button or one before button

if there are 4 players, I am incredibly tight and risk averse, but still open push most aces and pocket pairs
Old 06-26-2005, 07:52 PM

no i dont wanna quit poker.. i wanna learn and be good.

i am good at learning

--

i read alot of guides and understand FE and gigas block theory and stuff like that, i am also good enough to understand you dont need fancy plays to play low limit sngs.

i think my problem is near bubble: .. if i am <= 4BB I push alot, even with 4 people left.. is this a good strategy?

--

edit; reason i played lots of playmoney sngs is to try to be confident at $2, but i lost confidence after i lost those too
Old 06-26-2005, 07:55 PM

I think you may be playing way too tight late. Are you getting blinded out alot?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10% rake on all games

.. i just cant figure out how i am losing... i feel like i am always "bad beat" but i understand thats just in my mind and i must be winning coinflips just as often as I am losing them..

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you get down to heads up, most games have very few confrontations. You should easily be able to write down how much you're getting sucked out on vs. how often your hands hold up, if you want to do that to keep your perspective.

Sometimes it helps me a lot to see that the suck-outs against me aren't as frequent or as bad as I started to build them up in my mind to be.