Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: I broke 80 for the first time - Yay!

Good going. Have not played Park Hill in many years. I think they have improved it since I played it a long time ago, so it is probably a little tougher than I remember it. And the trees have another 20 years on them. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good going. If you get to Denver again try City Park in that neighborhood. better mountain views and a good urban golf experience. Or Wellshire on the other end of colorado blvd. Donald Ross sketched wellshire out I think, but I suspect didn't have a lot to do w/ the on site design. There are some good uses of contour at wellshire one would expect from ross tho. Pretty good for $24 muni golf in the city. Last time I was there was about a year ago and the tee time system worked well even for a non resident.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Somebody should buy this man an MGD.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:13 PM

UGH. I can't stand the Denver Muni courses. Pay the extra $20 and play Green Valley out by DIA, Murphy Creek, or Saddle Rock. MUCH better courses.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats. First time I broke 80 the 18th hole was a par-5 and I nervously dumped my approach in the bunker. Had to get up and down the for 79.

Shooting a number of nine holers in the 30s...now is the time to move to the back tees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice job. My buddies and I often play from the Blue tees (not sure if that means the same thing everywhere - longer than middle, but usually not the longest available). If the middle tees are less than 6100-6200 yards, we'll usually move back.
--
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good going. Have not played Park Hill in many years. I think they have improved it since I played it a long time ago, so it is probably a little tougher than I remember it. And the trees have another 20 years on them. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good going. If you get to Denver again try City Park in that neighborhood. better mountain views and a good urban golf experience. Or Wellshire on the other end of colorado blvd. Donald Ross sketched wellshire out I think, but I suspect didn't have a lot to do w/ the on site design. There are some good uses of contour at wellshire one would expect from ross tho. Pretty good for $24 muni golf in the city. Last time I was there was about a year ago and the tee time system worked well even for a non resident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Park Hill is still a failrly average muni course (118 slope from my tees). I did get the chance to play City Park the next day (hey, it wasn't *all* business) and shot closer to my usual - 88. It is a bit more difficult, with OB on the left on 8 of the first 10 holes - not good for me. It also didn't help that I got paired with three college kids who wern't very good at all. Taking mulligans left and right, and not counting all their strokes. Not that I really care - we weren't playing for anything - it just makes it harder for me to concentrate. Very nice course, though.
--
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UGH. I can't stand the Denver Muni courses. Pay the extra $20 and play Green Valley out by DIA, Murphy Creek, or Saddle Rock. MUCH better courses.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't doubt it, but they are pretty nice courses considering they are in the middle of the city. I also didn't have a car (my company is pretty cheap - me too), so if it was more than one bus connection away I wasn't going. And yes I am keenly aware of how geeky it must have looked for me to be riding a bus through the city with my clubs. lol
--
Scott
Old 08-11-2005, 08:54 PM

Good job. I have played that course a couple times. Nothing super hard, but it is not a pitch and putt either. You should feel really good about that round.

I am getting back into golf seriously after a couple year lay off. Last night I played Alvamar GC in Lawrence from the tips (Par 72, 7092 yards, 74.5/130) and shot 79 with a [censored] triple bogey on #3. That made me feel pretty good. Not the first time I broke 80, but any time I do it on a tough course I feel good.

Now that you have done it once, you are going to want to do it every time. Good luck!

/bd
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All too new for me to have played. I don't get there much anymore. have played Buffalo Run though. I am partial to wellshire and city park, but don't particularly like the other city courses.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You get a two-stroke penalty for posting this in the wrong forum, so you're back to 80. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha nice
Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't doubt it, but they are pretty nice courses considering they are in the middle of the city. I also didn't have a car (my company is pretty cheap - me too), so if it was more than one bus connection away I wasn't going. And yes I am keenly aware of how geeky it must have looked for me to be riding a bus through the city with my clubs. lol
--
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Busing it to park hill. Pretty good for a visitor. Went to high school near there and never had a problem But did a ride along one time w/ the cops around there and saw what went on at night that the police get to see. Good fun. But I think that neighborhood has improved some.