Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 PM

Default AKos and small stakes

I play most of my poker on PartyPoker, and have been playing "educated" poker for about 1.5 years. I have read many books on the subject, and am have been reading 2+2 for about 6 months. I have read and re-read Sklansky, Malmouth and Miller's "Small Stakes Hold'em", and feel I have a very good grasp on their ideas. I have been playing with this as a guideline for about 6 months. I want to put out the statistics that are directly from my PokerTracker for $2/4 limit hold 'em.
4318 hands played

35 AKos, I was in a blind 13 of the 35.

I pre flop raised 88.57% of the time (due to following stats I have backed off raising from blinds)

I have flopped an A or K 13 of the 35 hands.

Of those 13, I turned out to have run into a set one time, and 6 other times I was outdrawn by long shots on the turn or river. I had 6 wins, 3 of which were on the flop, with a pot of $7 or less.

My overall win % is 28.57% and a net loss of $233.92.

I re-ran all the hands on my on PokerTracker. If I was in a hand without flopping an A or K, I was getting very good odds with overcards, and often some kind of backdoor flush or str8 draw. I also ran my loosing hands. On average I was a 73% favorite on either the flop or turn on the 7 losses.

My question is: Is this a REALLY bad short term run, just bad, or is this common to see.

If it is anything besides the first, SHould AK really be a pre flop raising hand in small stakes? Against 3 opponents or more, even if you don't hit an A or K, you will generally be around for the turn. And if hitting the hand leaves you that seceptable to re-draws, how can you protect it?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: AKos and small stakes

Having been a reader and rereader of SSHE, you're aware then of the section under Building Big Pots (I believe it's in this section) about AK...I think that sections answers this question directly.

To look at 35 hands and question this is not really a good idea. Your win rate is also going to vary based on your ability to play overcards well.

If you don't already have it, get something like PokerStove. Put in AKo for your hands and plug in some random hands for your opponents. You'll always have an equity edge. Take the dead money.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Play aggressively when you do hit, don't slowplay or give free cards in large pots.

35 hands is indeed a tiny sample size. Play AKo aggressively PF (you should be raising this from the blinds everytime) and correctly postflop and you will make money in the long run.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
35 Akos

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
short term run?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.