Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: When did James Dungy become John Lennon?

[ QUOTE ]
Instead they paint Tony D. has some great human being because of his deep faith, ad nauseum.

[/ QUOTE ] if he truely embodies the Christian beliefs, than IMO he is a great human being.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue? Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ] first of all, this discussion belongs in a different forum. However, the notion that James killed himself because of his parents hardcore faith is absurd, and is something that only an atheist or secularist would believe. James killed himself because he had some sort of internal strife/demons. Using religion as the scapegoat is the easy route for those who do not believe. I think most rational people will agree that there was most likely something fundamentally wrong with his mental self that led him to kill himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an irrational response. Nobody said he killed himself "because of his parents' hardcore faith", and nobody is making religion a "scapegoat". Damn what is it, the minute someone questions religion, some people get all bent out of shape? And you must be a "nonbeliever" if you question religion? I'm not a "nonbeliever". Don't jump to conclusions.

Out of fear of being branded of having this discussion in the "wrong forum", I'll end my participation here.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29 PM

This: [ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility

[/ QUOTE ]
goes hand in hand with: [ QUOTE ]
Nobody said he killed himself "because of his parents' hardcore faith", and nobody is making religion a "scapegoat".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Damn what is it, the minute someone questions religion, some people get all bent out of shape?

[/ QUOTE ] It is not a matter of question religion, in fact I am all for that. Its people trying to place blame, even subvertly, on something that more than likely has nothing to do with the issue. People have been doing this a lot recently in America regarding religion.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he truely embodies the Christian beliefs, than IMO he is a great human being.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think there has ever been anything bad said about him from what i recall. he seems down to earth and caring which shows that tragedy touches all individuals no matter how you lead your life, b/c its life.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know. It's really pissing me off. The dude took his own life. Now I don't know what kind of issues he had so it's certainly wrong to say that he deserved to die. However, this is by no means a "tragedy".

A tragedy is when someone is going to help the poor but then gets run over by a car and dies. Someone taking their own life is not a tragedy.

Furthermore, people die all the time. It's ridiculous that this guy is getting so much media time just because he's a famous coach's son.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't just a famous coach. According to many of his colleagues, he's the most well-liked and respected in the league. And no, the fact that it was a suicide does not mean it was not a tragedy, simply because it doesn't fit a literal and narrow definition. This event has touched more people than you may realize, even if you're not among them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently met coach Dungy and he is an unbelievably nice guy. I talked with him for about 20 mins and all he talked about was his kids. Thats why people that know him are making such a big deal about it.