Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: The river bet game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6. B - and what are you doin in the pot with 74o?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey! was bb

[/ QUOTE ]

just messin with ya, bad joke i couldn't help it
Old 03-24-2005, 05:06 PM

1) I don't like this one. Full house, straight, and set possibilities. Though if top pair is good, I would trust your kicker is best. The only think encouraging is that he didn't bet on the river. Though perhaps, due to your turn aggression, he's hoping for a checkraise? If there was checkraise, would you call? I lean towards 'no'... and check it through.

2) "C. Put the rest of his stack in (half pot)" The opponent didn't bet on the flop. Nor did he checkraise with a potential flush draw. The player is in middle position so he is less likely to have 2 pair with anything on that flop. I would therefore, be inclined to put him on a draw.

3) I'm wavering between "C. Same as B but call checkraise" and D. "Bet a lot and be ready to go all in." This may be a big weakness of mine. I (perhaps incorrectly) think my straight is good against a random blind hand.

4) ahem... since cutoff is straightforward, I have trouble putting him on a 2 UTG. In which case, the only hands you fear are Pocket 10s or Qs. Though I'm having trouble imagining what he would CR you with here. If he had pocket 10s on the flop, I would think he'd wait til the turn to make such a move. He's NOT likely to put you on a two. I'm inclined to think you're ahead. So bet... I pick C.

5) "B. 10 to 12 range (halfpot ish)" Only because I can't see him calling much more.

6) Another toughie. I think if you check, you invite a steal. And since we don't know how much opponent would bet, better to lead out what you would be willing to call... I vote D (blocking bet/fold to reraise)
Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 PM

My stab at this:

1. B, watch out for a big check-raise. This guy hit a good king, is laying a trap with a straight (why did he call the turn raise?), or he took a stab at the pot and was too dumb to let his hand go.
2. C? Your stack size vs his stack size would mandate this, right?
3. A He turn bet-called. Would worse hands call a good river bet with this board? This would be a tougher decision than some of the other hands and would be pretty dependant on the tendencies of this particular opponent.
4. B Again the tendencies of your opponent make this interesting. He's straightforward according to your read. At first I was wondering if he was testing your pot sized bet on the flop with a raise, or perhaps he was on a flush draw.
5. B This opponent's only put in 9 dollars into the pot so far, unless he has a strong hand like trips or a straight or an unlikely lesser flush he's probably not going to call a large bet. He's not shown much aggression yet either, maybe he'll call a decent value bet down.
6. D

This exercise is interesting, I look forward to seeing the results
Old 03-24-2005, 05:20 PM

1.b
any draw folds, almost any made hand beats you
2.a
More info on the player would be nice - I'm probably going to get this wrong but I encounter more players that slow play two pair or a set at these limits than players that take a stab when they miss a draw. KJ or K10 aren't out of the question either though, but if he's been passive so far he might check behind. So maybe call a small bet?
3.a
again, seems like you are only called by stronger hands
4.b
normally check behind, but a straightforward player in call down mode? time to value bet
5.b
if he has a small piece of the flop and puts you on overcards (which makes sense with his earlier play) he might call the small bet. The big bet says overpair or flush. The answer changes of course if you have the aggressive/steal image.
6.d
Seems the best possible answer. Options C and E seem poor because you lose a lot of money to the flush. Option B seems like you win less/lose more than option D because his bet is likely to be larger than 6-10. Option A seems weak, even for me (look at my previous answers!). The blocking bet seems fine: you don't lose too much, you get paid off occasionally, and he's got to be crazy or really have you read if he raises without the flush.

Someone really good post "correct" answers please. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2005, 05:30 PM

There must be some way to score it monetarily... ie... everyone starts with $100. The hands are played in progression. And your stack changes depending on how each hand played out. The person at the end with the most chips wins.

The only thing we can't know is the effect of bets when you didnt bet... ie... would a pot sized bet have cause opponent to fold where a 1/2 bet might have led to a call. I think, Bobby, you'll have to make some assumptions on how the hand would have played out based on his hand and your read on him.

I look forward to hearing how it all came out.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM

Great post. Give the winner 5$.

1)A
2)B
3)C
4)B
5)B
6)C
Old 03-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Hand number 1
A. Check - it may be a leak in my game, but i have trouble value betting one pair hands on the river when i can check and see if the pot is mine.

Hand number 2 (another KQ)
B. Check with the intention of calling a bet - i like to induce bets

Hand 3 (hit my card for free)
A. Check behind - i don't know. what hand will call a bet here that we beat?

Hand 4
A. Check - again, what hand would call a bet that we're ahead of?

Hand 5
C. full pot (range of 17 to 20) - hope he pushes his stack in

Hand 6 (last one)
C. Fire a bet 6 to 10 with the intention of calling a raise - i think you're good here often enough to call a reasonable raise
Old 03-24-2005, 05:53 PM

oops I missed the time to edit. Anyway for #1 I explained why checking was my play but said bet. Check is my final answer.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post. Give the winner 5$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sounds fair. Winner (i'll tabulate / post my thoughts at 8pm) will get 5$ on pstars
Old 03-24-2005, 06:14 PM

I haven't added it up, but I think most liked checking on A. Beyond that the answers were somewhat diverse. Which is interesting, showing the diversity of thought processes and playing styles on this board.

Whoever lost the most (probably me lol) should get a booby prize.