Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Ciaffone--Hand Examples?

Does Bob Ciaffone's book have a lot of different hand examples like HoH? I would have to order the book online.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Ciaffone--Hand Examples?

i have only read Ciaffone's book "Middle Limit Hold'em" but there are about 200-300 examples in this book. So this book definitely has more example then harrington on hold'em. Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM

Which Ciaffone book?

Middle Limit Holdem is examples from cover to cover -- ok, I exaggerate slightly, but each chapter is just a couple pages of introduction and then a loooong series of examples. I found it excellent advice; some people find him too tight but I know reading it helped my game.

Improve your Poker and the PL/NL Poker books are not quite so heavy on examples but they do still have plenty.

(And, incidentally, if you're having trouble finding somewhere to order them online... I have them in stock )
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 PM

I was referring to the NL/PL limit book because I'm a NL player. Can the Middle Limit book be translated at all to NL?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:40 AM

I did not think the pl/nl book was nearly as good as the mid-limit book. I don't have either one of them here, but it is my recollection that the pl/nl book doesn't have as many examples.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:42 AM

PL&NL Poker by Ciaffone/Rueben does have quizes on each type of poker game covered which revolve around hand examples. Like maybe 10 example questions for each game.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PL&NL Poker by Ciaffone/Rueben does have quizes on each type of poker game covered which revolve around hand examples. Like maybe 10 example questions for each game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, while he might not set it up all nice like HoH, he frequently describes a hand and how it was played without all the visuals.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:41 AM

My thoughts:

I am a huge fan of the Ciaffone books, with MLHE being the best. While PLNLP is decent, and probably the best out there right now, it is nothing like say HEFAP, SSH, etc. It has relatively little information on hold em it self (the book has stud, omaha, lowball, and other sections). While you won't get tons of information out of it, it'll help you think more along the lines of right plays.

It's not the most detailed and thorough book (like MLHE is), but it is recommended by most. While I don't think it is amazing be-all end-all like SSH, it is worth a read.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it is worth a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, my local newspaper that shows little league pictures and some guy who played a flute for some cracker was worth a read while I was on the pooper... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

If you're looking for a NL book to read, definitely get PLNLP, just understand what KingMarc said is correct in it's not the end all for NL books, but that book has yet to be written.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was referring to the NL/PL limit book because I'm a NL player. Can the Middle Limit book be translated at all to NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want a NL holdem book with lots of example hands, then I understand his new book due the end of this year will be in that style.