Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Default What would you do in each of these situations

The game is $2-$4 NL HE.

You limp in after UTG limps in a 9 handed game. Your hand 55.

Everyone folds the SB completes and the BB wraps.

4 People take the flop. $16 Pot

UTG stacks size $800
Your stack size $380
SB stack size $900
BB stack size is irrelevant

The flop comes down 5c 4s 2d.

You flop top set.

SB lead bets $8
BB folds
UTG calls $8.

Your move....... and explain why do not go further into the hand, just say what you would do right here and now, not what you would do and then if this or that happens how you would react.

Just right now.

Both opponnents are typical online players, there aren't wild maniacs and they aren't tight mcMikeys.

Hand #2.

You have AKo and on the button in a 9 handed game. After 3 limpers you raise it to $20, the SB and BB fold the early limper and the 2nd limper calls, the last limper folds.

Your stack size $425
Early limper stack size $355
2nd limper stack size $315

There is $66 in the pot.

The flop comes down A 3 4r.

The early limper bets $4 and the next limper calls.

What is your play??

Now I will also go on to say, that these are typical situations that will arise, these questions are not designed to trick you or to avoid a trap because I gave the opponnent the stone cold nuts. No..... just view it as a typical situation in a typical setting against typical opponents.

What's your play?
Old 05-04-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: What would you do in each of these situations

Hand 1: Make it $36 on the flop, reevaluate if there is any other action.

Hand 2: Raise more pre-flop, I think that $28-32 would be good. Raise the flop to about $80.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:40 AM

Hand 1 I flat call. Good chance SB has a small overpair or perhaps pair+gutshot type hand. UTG quite likely has overs or gutshot or similar weak draw. I let SB lead again on the turn into the now-bigger pot and trap UTG calling again (hopefully now after hitting an overcard if that is what he has) before raising the turn. If you raise the flop, you are likely to lose everyone and overcards are drawing completely dead, one pair hands are drawing exceedingly slim, it is unlikely anyone has an OESD, there is no flush draw possible, therefore I would like to see people improve somewhat on the turn before popping it and SB does not seem too threatening right now so you have a better chance of UTG calling another bet from him on the turn than you do of anyone calling your bets after you show a lot of strength on the flop by popping two guys.

Hand 2: Have to raise here to protect your hand. Even if people have weak draws, you can't let them get 15:1 odds + implied odds. Raise to 60-75. You said you don't want to know what I would do if someone comes over the top, so I won't tell you.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:41 AM

Why so much in hand 1? I think it's very likely someone has a medium overpair, no reason to blow them off the hands. There are very few draws.

Hand 1: Potsize raise would be making it $32, I'd make it $24.

Hand 2: Make it $70.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:01 AM

Hand 1 making it about 20 bucks is good. If they are real bad players, I will make it the largest amount I think they will call.

Hand 2 depends, I don't like to do the same thing on a flop like this or you become way too easy to read.

Vs opponents that call too much I'd make it 45-50.

I'd just call vs opponents who would believe you have an ace if you bet now, but won't believe you if you bet later.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:07 AM

HAND 1: Could someone have limped with a suited A-rag? Could that rag have been a 3? Your only real worry. Everyone else has a gutshot or overpair (or in the case of 6's, both). Make a pot-sized raise. A3 would probably smooth-call. If you don't pair the board, be careful.

HAND 2: Was your $20 pre-flop raise enough to take out those left if they held 3s or 4s at that table from those players? Are they idiots who would play a weak suited Ace even out of position facing a raise from the button, hoping to flop the nut flush?

Assuming none of those are the case, reraise big. You have TPTK and you're last to act. Be aggressive. More than likely you're up against weaker Aces or someone taking a stab. Maybe you can win a lot of money from someone who has AJ but more likely you will take it right there.