Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 12:37 PM

Default Yet another 30+3 pokerstars question

There are 10 players remaining, and I have T24,000... it is hand for hand, and only the big stacks including me seem to be making plays at the pot [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ... I am dealt red 3's in the BB. It is open folded to the cut-off who opens the pot for T3600 (He had T9600 in total before the raise)... It is folded to me... I probably have the best hand (barely), but I could be dominated... I really doubt it though... If this guy had any pocket pair, he would push all-in, well maybe not [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

I push my stack in, and I do a bit of angling... I type, "Let's get this party started!" in the chat window... I was really hoping he would fold...

He thinks and thinks and thinks, and he finally calls... with JhTd... I am actually a 1.04:1 dog, but pretty close to even money... He flops an open ender, turns a flush draw, but he doesn't complete [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thank-You...

There was a player left that had T1200 remaining... not enough to play a complete round... What do you think of each of our plays?

From my perspective, I thought even if I lose, I am going to limp in to the money [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. I want to win though not limp into the money, but if I win [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I will have some chips to play at the final table, and I really thought there was a reasonable chance this player would fold on the bubble.

Thanks In Advance,
Old 10-04-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Yet another 30+3 pokerstars question

His play was poor all the way around. Your play was ballsy. When you shot an angle in the chat box, any player with any experience would tend to call you, because of the strong means weak and weak means strong theory. That's the only thing I wouldn't have done. Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2002, 09:41 AM

I was the other player. Would you care to elaborate as to how badly I played the hand ?

Andy.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:43 AM

I thought you played it well. I nearly did pass. I shall elaborate on my own play once our friend below does.

By the way, I didn't see the comment so that had no bearing.

Andy.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:17 AM

Raising in the cutoff with about a third of your stack when you have a drawing hand that could be easily dominated by a wide assortment of hands is not what I consider to be a premium move. Obviously, you were looking to steal the blinds, but when you get re-raised by the big blind for all your chips, It's an automatic fold. The steal wasn't going to work this time, so you cut your losses. What's even more crucial is the fact that you are on the bubble and another player has only 1200 left and could easily bust out when the blinds arrive. Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2002, 06:55 AM

Well, I was being a little bit unfair because the actual facts were slightly different from the original post. I had just under 8000, and the last time I looked the low stack on the other table had 2700. If I had had 9K+ or whatever I was supposed to, a fold would probably have been marginally correct.

In the actual event, all-in might have been a better move, but my thinking was that the SB was playing tight ABC and if she re-raised I could fold. The BB was playing a few hands and I felt he was capable of reraising with exactly the type of hand he had, so getting 3-1 I felt I had to call the reraise.

Don't underestimate JT and the like in this situation - I'd much rather have it than A4 for example. When you consider that the most likely hands to play back at you are any Ace or any pair, you may see why.

Andy.