Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Negreanu Criticizes the WSOP \'s one-dimensional lineup

i don't think that anyone would deny that. i mean, they won't outright say it's to keep their big name pro status. but naturally, negreanu and the rest would want higher buy-in events anyway, and the added benefit of a smaller field only entices them even more. adding in other games to the mix gives them an even bigger edge.

but i genuinely think many are just flat upset because they like other games and the monotony of nothing but big bet HE is getting to them. it would be for me too if i was playing every tour stop. that's why i like playing online, because i play 2-3 different games a day at a time.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM

If they keep going in this direction, they might as well rename it the WSOH. Daniel and Shaniac are right. The way it's going next year's event #23 will be the "$3,267 NLHE unlimited rebuys for the first two hour plus three rebuys to lefties, women, and people weighing 300+ lbs. during the third hour". What is the point of handing out so many bracelets for the exact same game at different buyins every year?

It just takes away from the prestige of winning a bracelet.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Razz event, despite being downgraded to a one-day event scheduled the same day as the 5K Shorthanded event in 2005, managed to attract a 50% bigger field than the 2004 event, a result of the tv coverage.

[/ QUOTE ]

And because it was made a 1-day event, the Razz tournament lasted until seven in the frickin' morning. I know the finalists won some good money, but that's just wrong.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:41 PM

Actually, Razz went THREE days, ending at 7 in the morning. TD Johnny Grooms said that he had set up the structure expecting LESS entrants than in 2004 since it wouldn't be on TV like it had been the previous year.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the players have spoken very clearly to Harrahs about what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

And 200-300 players want a mix of other games in addition to holdem. It's not like only 20 are turning up. It wasn't that long ago people were amazed that 300 turned up for the main event.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just more whining from the pro's. For some reason the pro's think because they are pro's there opinions are worth more.

[/ QUOTE ]

English only, please.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could it be that some of the pros want non holdem events with higher buy ins, so they have a better chance to win a bracelet and keep their "famous pro" status?

[/ QUOTE ]

or that, god forbid, that they want to play more then just NLHE. There are also plenty of people out there that are willing to come to the WSOP and play in a couple events of their choosing, of which those are likely to be O8, Stud8, and Stud.

I don't see why bringing back a mixed games tourny is that big of a drain on Harrahs. THere is demand for it, just as there is demand to play KC lowball.

I really wish that espn showed the KC lowball tourny on TV instead of the NLHE Event that Mike Sica won. That event was great to watch, and was a great showing of pure skill by the players involved. The public also wants to see the name players playing poker along with seeing the Moneymaker types winning
Old 10-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Anybody else worried...

Is the WSOP killing the Golden Goose? Of course Hold'em is the [censored]. It plays the best on TV. But it plays everywhere on TV. I can't watch a lot of it. But when TSN finally airs some of the other events (Stud, Omaha, Razz) here in Canada, I'll be watching.

Texas Hold'em won't be this popular forever. I would think diversification would be the best way to ensure the future profitability of this event. So throw the pros a bone.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'cept it's not poker. Not really related to poker at all. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What? Explain why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't use 5 card hands, it doesn't use poker hands at all, and it uses non-poker hands to either make winners or losers. Course there is betting involved so some might call it poker. To me it as much poker as blackjack is.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 PM

Right message, wrong messenger. Daniel is the Krusty the Klown of poker marketing. Don't get me wrong -- I believe everyone should maximize their earning potential and Daniel has every right. But the non poker playing suits from Harrah’s that he is attempting to beat up on are simply responding to the need for Harrah’s to maximize income.

As I mentioned in the Card Player forum, if Daniel is really serious about this and not just interested in getting his name out there as some sort of poker purist, he should use his so-called ambassadorship at Wynn, to spread lower limit mixed games.