FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Play poker --> Bad person?

It is a game that involves deception.
What more needs to be said?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think that playing a lot of poker might cause a bit of a caracter change. From the constant thinking about how to lure an opponent, how to take his/her money and over and onver trying to put ppl to though decissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. The essence of being a good poker player is making good decisions. In poker our object of the game is to make the most money. In social interactions, the object is completely different. That's why I think that this theory is majorly flawed.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:09 PM

I'd be interested in reading some quotes from Men The Master or John Juanda on how they balance poker with Buddhism. My limited experience with Buddhism would seem to indicate that these are two fairly contradictory things. Anyone know of anyplace to read up on this, or have any thoughts themselves?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A couple things.

First, the purpose of a (not for non-profit) buisness is to maximize gains. This is true of every buisness that is for-profit. From car dealerships to software companies to restaurants to hospitals. The function is to maximize gains. One of the basic ways of doing this is to minimize costs. You can accomplish this by reducing staff, reducing the quality of the product you produce, etc. This isn't growing an economy -- it's shrinking an economy. Therefore, a buisness that is running efficiently does not necesarrily lead to a grown economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

If country A and country B each have 100 units of resources at their disposal, and A inefficiently uses 50 units each to produce X and Y goods, while B only uses 30 units to produce X and Y goods, then country B can grow faster than country A, as it has more surplus resources to use to enhance future growth, possible making Z to use and sell to country A, and will, on average, grow faster, enhancing living standards and GDP, all other things being equal.

The drive for efficiency comes about as production resources are limited. Therefore the most efficient grows fastest, creating more wealth and jobs.

Bingo
Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM

not if you have a stable personality
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think that playing a lot of poker might cause a bit of a caracter change.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since starting to play poker I have developed the rather nasty habit of killing kittens and puppies for fun.

[ QUOTE ]
From the constant thinking about how to lure an opponent, how to take his/her money and over and onver trying to put ppl to though decissions?

[/ QUOTE ]
I work for an advertising agency, so the damage is already done here.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 PM

Aren't people going to start listing good things poker has done for them?

My B&M play is for sure mind sharpening.
I know that I am more observant than before, I see a lot more of every picture and I see it in a more calculating way. And the social aspect is good too, trying to read and understand what people are doing has definitely helped me demystify other power grabs and relationships in my life.
Anyone else feel like this?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 AM

Playing low limit(3/6 & 4/8) B&M poker which I am at best a break-even player has made me some great contacts. As well, I have learned to read people really well which applies to everything inter-personal decision you make in your life.

Am I an evil guy because I take advantage of idiots who risk their money player poker on the internet? No. I have no secret advantage, no hidden Ace. The forums & books I've read are available to anyone. However, I don't have a win at all costs attitude, the same as in my business life outside of poker. I think when you develop this type of attitude is when you really get in trouble.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think that playing a lot of poker might cause a bit of a caracter change. From the constant thinking about how to lure an opponent, how to take his/her money and over and onver trying to put ppl to though decissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good people are found in almost all endeavors, including poker players. Many are involved in public service and charitable activities. It's entirely possible to be a tenacious and fair competitor at the table and a good citizen away from the table.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you are considering money as the only measure of winning and losing, then both poker and business are made up strictly of winners and losers (with the house aka the government being the only consistent winner).

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with your statement on a number of levels.
In poker, I would say that money is the only measure of winning and losing. It is the core of the game. Sure a few player might gamble just for the entertainment but still, the way to differ a winner from a looser in poker is by money and that’s actually not exactly the case in business. Even more, a win in poker is always someone else’s loss, and that’s not the case in business. To add one more point, in business you also learn to cooperate with other players, to work together. In poker, I think that’s considered cheating.
I could also make a couple of remarks on your comparison between the government and the house but that would probably only take us into a never ending political discussion.