Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 PM

Default DSL

Hi all. I have been having some problems with my cable signal in my home and the company claims it is internal wiring in my home that is looped and therefore creates weak signals. This leads to intermittent service and some costly/irritating disconnects. I am thinking DSL would solve this problem and am looking at sbc dsl. They are claiming 1.5-3 mb/sec speed. Does this sound okay for my needs of multitabling and using a router to run internet to both mac and windows? Thans for the help.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: DSL

I will warn you on this... if you really do have weird "loops" in your home wiring, DSL may not be the answer either. If there's anything out of the ordinary on your phone wiring you will have a lot of problems with DSL.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM

I am thinking of just trying it and keeping both. Kinda overkill but the lost dollars and emotional pain when I get no service should be worth it.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM

Electrical or Cable wiring? if it's Cable get them to run a new lines straight from tap to a splitter to your modem.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 PM

That would require monkeying around with the house and running a line outside somewhere and then back in. Cosmetically, no good.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are claiming 1.5-3 mb/sec speed. Does this sound okay for my needs of multitabling and using a router to run internet to both mac and windows? Thans for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, you could probably Megatable (1 million tables) with that connection [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That said, if the problem is in your cable wiring, then getting DSL will probably help. If it is a power problem (very unlikely) then you may have problems with DSL as well. I'd check out the looped wiring problem, because that might be the cause of TV reception problems as well (if you have any). If you can fix that, then you can keep your cable service and avoid having to switch ISPs.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 PM

I assume you were replying to me...

The tap is actually on the pole or in the green box outside your house, if it's a signal issue, they are the ones who run the cable, and they will replace it. (usaully free... at least when I worked for RR support) It won't shouldn't cause any cosmetic issues as they can run it in where the old cable came in.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:15 PM

I have Verizon DSL service and it was giving us fits off and on until we had them change the old NID box outside and put in a new one with a homerun. Now it works greats, never disconnects.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:22 PM

I do have overall crappy TV reception and have been told multiple times it is from the bs in house setup looping from one splitter to the next.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 PM

That depends on how your existing cable goes from the splitter to your individual rooms.

If you have existing cable runs from the splitter to the wall jack that are on the outside of your house clipped to the walls, then it is relatively easy to replace.

If you have cabling that is all inside the wall, from the point of entry to the wall jack, then replacing the cable is not an easy task. It's virtually impossible without ripping the walls open because of cable clips and bends -- no way to just pull another cable through.

Surfdoc, if you have more than 1 cable jack in the house and do not have a splitter outside, in the attic, or somewhere else, then you probably have a daisy-chained bus run with "T" connectors in each box and a pigtail going to the wall jack. Unless your cable modem is connected to the 'first' outlet, you probably will lose too much signal strength from all the connections. How old is your house?