Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2002, 07:25 PM

Default After the retarded play

I am now down to T4,240 and I battle my way back by playing hyper aggressive (like a maniac basically). I had to though... The other 2 had T8,000 and T 15,000. 5 hands later I am up to T 7,000 with the others at T8,000 and T 12,000 by raising all-in on the last 8 of the last 10 hands. This includes if someone raises a little preflop, limps preflop etc. I need to get into second... 3rd is no good.

I am dealt AhKh in the BB, and the button makes it like T800 to go. I go all-in for T6800 (blinds are 100 200). I thought that he may call with a dominated hand (weak A)because I had raised all-in like 8 of the last 10 hands.

He does call with 5c5s... How bad was that? He flopped a 5 and I flopped a gutshot straight flush draw... and missed.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-12-2002, 01:32 AM

Default Re: After the retarded play

DJA,

You asked He does call with 5c5s... How bad was that? Under the circumstances you described (you went all-in 8 out of last 10 hands) not too bad at all. Could you expect them to allow you to steal forever? Actually your all-in after a raise was much worse than his call. He just happened to have a PP of 5's. Why couldn't he have a PP of Aces here? I am sure you understand that you were the dog preflop correct? True, not by much but considering that he could absorb your all-in bet and still have chips and you could not I may have played your hand differently. Plus if he lets you take this pot down uncontested now you will have over T8000 instead of him. Sometimes you must be willing to gamble with a small edge to have the best opportunity to win. IMHO

Jimbo
Old 10-12-2002, 06:14 AM

I play your hand the same way for the same reasons.
How I play the 55 honestly depends on my mood, and how likely I think it is that the other guy is ever going to call you.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:53 PM

With blinds of 100-200 I wouldn't say you need to play like a maniac. I don't like the concept of raising all-in 8 of 10 times if they are all oversized bets. I would play aggressively since it is 3 handed but I would do more pot sized raising.

Usually you will get caught when your opponent has a real hand and you don't. Although in this case you do have a real hand but with his small pair and your past 10 hands he decides to make a stand. Can't argue with his play.

Ken Poklitar