Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Hobbes\'s Wife Would Make An Exception for Snoball138

Snowball are you sandbagging?

Anyway isn't it kind of like leading her on to try to get in her panties and then tell her no when it turns out she really wants you? Maybe you only like the forbidden fruit.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is to win. Sklansky understands this, why can't you?

Best,
Snowball

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had no respect for her and were just looking for sex with a hot chick then I might agree.

Because you have argued that your feelings for her are legitimate, then I don't think winning at all costs can be justified. Maybe that's counterintuitive to you, but the way I see it is that the more you care about someone the more obligation you have to avoid hurting her.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Hi Hobbes,

You've gone from giving advice to preaching your own narrow view of morality. Its hard to for me to see why your views on this subject are valuable.

For the record, I think the girl in my class is a fantastic person in a lot of ways, and I would plan to be very good to her. I also think that she'd be happy with me. I'm very honest in relationships, just not necessarily in the beginning.

Thanks,
Snowball
Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM

"but the way I see it is that the more you care about someone the more obligation you have to avoid hurting her."

That statement focuses on an important issue. Suppose a women chooses to have sex with Bob but not Fred. Even though she likes Fred better, would donate a kidney to save Fred but not Bob, and is not physically attracted to Fred solely because he treats her a little too well. In other words she gets turned on by mistreatment. Yet she won't admit it. Fred is supposed to just accept that without trying some counterstrategies?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You've gone from giving advice to preaching your own narrow view of morality. Its hard to for me to see why your views on this subject are valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, since this discussion makes you uncomfortable the best tactic is to accuse me of being "narrow." Of course only a tight-assed Jesus humper would ever think that deceiving a friend might be outside the bounds of proper personal ethics!

I must be one of those religious nuts trying to impose his views on others. You betcha.

It's really quite simple for me. If I sat down to play cards with a bunch of shady slimeballs who wouldn't hesitate to steal everything I owned, then I might feel justified in cheating them out of their money.

But if I sat down to play poker with a bunch of my friends, I would never think to break the agreed upon rules. They're my FRIENDS, see?

You're convinced that if this girl falls for your trap then it's justified because you'll be good for her. I say that's presumptuous nonsense. I may be convinced that a particular stock is a great investment, but I wouldn't steal a friend's money and invest it for his own good.

But, you know, that's just my own narrow view of morality. Gotta run now; there are heathens out there to convert. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM

Hobbes, Im gonna have to call bs. You're telling me that... fully armed with the knowledge that 99% of women (including this one) play games, you think it's unethical to do so?

Isn't that a wee bit confusing? We're supposed to stick to our ethical guns for a woman who doesnt? At this rate, you're gonna have to date a nun.... and they dont date.

Oh well, at least snowball's hand wont play games.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hobbes, Im gonna have to call bs. You're telling me that... fully armed with the knowledge that 99% of women (including this one) play games, you think it's unethical to do so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with your assertion that almost all women play games. In fact, I think the majority don't.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 PM

I think it depends on what you call games, but if that is your position coming into all this, then I cant fault a single thing you say.

nh.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:43 PM

An entire thread could be dedicated to nailing down what constitutes playing games, so it's quite possible that different people are operating under different assumptions.

I wouldn't be so quick to impute bad faith on a woman that seems to be playing games with you. Usually, they're just not interested. Of course, if you're running the "friend" angle things can get confusing. A woman may suspect that you might want to be more than friends, but really values your friendship and so just sort of plays dumb and hopes that she was wrong or maybe you'll find someone else.

Is this bad faith on her part? Hard to say. There's certainly selfish interest involved, but then again YOU put her in this awkward position.

And I'd like to make clear that there is a substantial percentage of the female population that does play games. I'm not arguing that it doesn't happen, just that it doesn't happen as often as you might believe.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 PM

http://www.intellectualwhores.com/masterladder.html