Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Default I fail to raise AKo from the BB

Live 9/18, where else.

Aggro UTG raises, semi-decent/not-out-of-line UTG+1 cold-calls, 3 more people cold-call, a hilariously bad fish calls in the SB, and I just call from the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

7 to the flop for 14 small bets.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

SB checks, I check, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, 3 cold-callers fold, SB calls, I call, UTG folds.

3 to the turn for 8.5 BBs.

Turn is the glorious T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, UTG+1 bets, SB calls, I raise, UTG+1 calls, SB curses and folds.

River is the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I bet, UTG+1 raises, I fold.

EDIT: I just fixed the PF action (and thread title) because I had it mixed up with another AKo from the BB hand I played a few hands later.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: I shouldn\'t have raised AKo preflop!

Personally I don't think it's good advertising with your bet/fold in a very large pot, so even if you really are beat 20 times out of 21 against this guy (not impossible at all), I would have called.

And even if there's perhaps little value in it, you get to at least see if it was AKs he cold-called with preflop or the more probable QQ/JJ.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 AM

Saw now that you edited the hand, the pot is smaller now =)
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw now that you edited the hand, the pot is smaller now =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry I played two nearly identical hands with AKo from the BB. One of them I raised, one of them I just called. Luckily, the one I 3-bet (and it got capped by a limp-reraiser) I ended up winning with Aces Up.

In fact, there was a third hand I got AKo from the BB, and I just raised some limpers, and lost to 87o when I whiffed the flop and turn.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: I fail to raise AKo from the BB

I reraise preflop and I see a showdown.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reraise preflop and I see a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I apparently disagree with einbert's views on occasion this is unequivocally correct. The arguments for not 3-betting AKo from the blinds stems from the idea that given certain flops we can make up our lost equity by limiting the field because you kept the pot smallish and when you face the field with two cold (see Jason_t’s recent post for possibly a correct situation to do this), thus increasing your equity. The thing with this hand is the way you are going to make up the extra value postflop is going to come from check raising the field on the flop given the relative position of the pfr, but there are going to be very few flops where you are going to want to do that over other options. So basically given the position of the pfr collect your extra sklansky money now by raising this [censored] preflop and then play some poker.

As for the river, folding sucks. The pot is large and pretty much all of his full house hands don't make sense for a decent player and he his not going to have a flush enough to make your call unprofitable so pay the man.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing with this hand is the way you are going to make up the extra value postflop is going to come from check raising the field on the flop given the relative position of the pfr,

[/ QUOTE ]

When an overaggressive player raises UTG and is coldcalled in many spots, if you don't 3-bet PF, don't you think that the ability to bet-3bet an Ace-high or King-high flop will not only be incredibly profitable, and likely to eliminate some (depending on quality) drawing hands, but also incredibly likely?

Everyone seems to be thinking that if we call PF we have to c/r, but I think a bet-3bet will actually be a line that we can exploit quite frequently with great success given the profile on UTG with a favorable flop.

Rob
Old 11-15-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The thing with this hand is the way you are going to make up the extra value postflop is going to come from check raising the field on the flop given the relative position of the pfr,

[/ QUOTE ]

When an overaggressive player raises UTG and is coldcalled in many spots, if you don't 3-bet PF, don't you think that the ability to bet-3bet an Ace-high or King-high flop will not only be incredibly profitable, and likely to eliminate some (depending on quality) drawing hands, but also incredibly likely?

Everyone seems to be thinking that if we call PF we have to c/r, but I think a bet-3bet will actually be a line that we can exploit quite frequently with great success given the profile on UTG with a favorable flop.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point, but on the same note an over aggro will also 4-bet this preflop at a fair clip, thus building a huge pot for us where we have a decent edge.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point, but on the same note an over aggro will also 4-bet this preflop at a fair clip, thus building a huge pot for us where we have a decent edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're getting 4-bet often enough by hands that you have a huge edge against, unless by "overaggro" he can translate it to "maniac."

Rob
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Getting 16:1 I call this river. I think the rest of the hand was played fine