Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Buying chips in a free roll (kind of long)

First, a little setup. I was playing in a free roll tourny over this past weekend at my college. It was put on through my dorm and the winner got a $75 gift certificate while the runner up got a $20 gift certificate. One of the guys at my table was donking off his chips by going all in blind every hand because he had someplace to go. Miraculously, his hands were holding up and he quickly quadrupled up and was easily the chip leader of the tourny. He had to leave however, and didn't know what to do with his chips. I offered to buy his chips off of him for $5 knowing that I was better than 95% of the field and with the chips, I could easily win the tournament. He took the offer and gave me his chips giving me a huge chip advantage over the rest of the table/(field). I eventually went on to win the tourny and the gift certificate [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] but I also caught some heat from my friends saying that I cheated by buying the chips.

My question is, was what I did un-ethical and bad etiquette? Do my friends have a valid point or are they just jealous? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Buying chips in a free roll (kind of long)

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, was what I did un-ethical and bad etiquette?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but barely. Don't worry about it.

It's unethical and bad etiqutte, like knocking too many times on some one's door, or jaywalking is
Old 11-07-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is, was what I did un-ethical and bad etiquette?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but barely. Don't worry about it.

It's unethical and bad etiqutte, like knocking too many times on some one's door, or jaywalking is

[/ QUOTE ]

Barely? wtf? It is completely and unequivocally wrong. The guy with the chips should just leave and his stack sits there and gets blinded off. That is the only answer.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:13 PM

Yeah, what you did is completely illeagal according to any tourney rules I've ever seen. Oh well, at least it worked out for you.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:14 PM

yeah this is not so good

Chips in poker tournaments (even freerolls) should only pass from player to player in play, on the table.

period.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barely? wtf? It is completely and unequivocally wrong. The guy with the chips should just leave and his stack sits there and gets blinded off. That is the only answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what are your thoughts on jaywalking?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious what are your thoughts on jaywalking?

[/ QUOTE ]

jaywalking isn't poker
Old 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM

thanks for not answering the question

see the problem is we both agree it's wrong, but it's all relative.

I was almost gonna say it was not wrong, unless whoever was running the tournament said he couldn't do this.

But even assuming that this tourney will have similar rules to a real tourney (real as in not freeroll), I'm having a hard time trying to believe this is that big a deal
Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 PM

If I had just doubled up this guy and saw his monster pile of chips being sold to the best player on the table, I would be pissed! It's basically the same as chip dumping to someone you have a stake in... definitely against the rules.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 PM

My position on jaywalking has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. They are not related.

As someone else has already pointed out, the tourney thing is chip dumping. It is against the rules. It makes no difference that it is a free tourney or that the people running it allowed it to happen. Chip dumping cannot be condoned on any level.