Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: buying real estate

My tips:
1) Find an MLS search engine in your area, and check out houses in your price range. For example, edinarealty.com in MN.
2) As everybody else said, get a broker. A broker will get you a better deal than a bank.
3) You most likely know a realtor personally, a friend or a family member. You can work with them if you want.
4) You don't necessarily need a cash down payment, there are ways to borrow that money. It appears this is not a problem for you, however.
I don't particularly want to advertise myself, but I work for a broker in Minneapolis, he can help you out if necessary, if you're in that area.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there's pretty much no way you'll be able to get a mortgage by yourself if you cannot prove a reliable source of income in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The key words here are "a reliable source of income in the future". Any lender will want proof of this, and this usually means income from having a real job with a real company for a minimum of 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you're totally wrong.

Stated Income Loan

It's amazing what you can do with a large chunk of cash and a good credit score.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did a quick search of Stated Income Loans and came up with this:

General Requirements:

Lenders usually look for a minimum of 2 years of self-employment history or employment history in the same field. Proof for minimum of 2 years employment history for self-employed borrowers may be accomplished by obtaining a typed letter from a accountant/CPA on their company letterhead to get verification of the borrowers self employment. If an accountant is not available, two years of business license or confirmation from 3 disinterested business associates may be required. Your ability to qualify for the loan is based on the income stated on the application. The income must be in line with your occupation.

I somehow doubt "Poker Player" will be in line with these requirements.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 PM

Interesting.

Well, you want to make a side bet on whether or not daryn will qualify for a loan?

I'll put up $20.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:17 PM

I have about $140,000 in liquid assets. I am hoping to start my PhD in America in 9 months. How expensive a property would I be able to afford given that my only sources of income will be phd funding (scant), potential tutoring $, and potential poker $ (uncertain)?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

Well, you want to make a side bet on whether or not daryn will qualify for a loan?

I'll put up $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put up $50, betting that Daryn qualifies.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 PM

Depends on your location. You can buy a nice house in certain parts of the South or Midwest for 80K, while a crappy condo might cost you several hundred thousand in parts of California and so on.

Swede
Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

I'll put up $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean against Benal, right? 'Cos I am betting that he qualifies as well. Without having his parents cosign.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:21 PM

I'd also put my money on Daryn, assuming he has some decent liquid assets to back him up.

Swede
Old 10-12-2005, 05:24 PM

Thanks. I wasn't so much looking for how much I could get for $x, just how many $ loan could I get (without paying a usurious rate of interest)

Ty,

Dean
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting.

I'll put up $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean against Benal, right? 'Cos I am betting that he qualifies as well. Without having his parents cosign.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i want to win the bet as well. and I agree I am willing to bet that he qualifies on his own merit. btw my knowledge of Daryn is limited to the following, he plays something like 15/30, he has lived at home partly to save money, and he posted his credit score once, he is close or has graduated from college, and from his posts he seems smart. I have never communitcated with him outside of 2+2 nor have we ever exchanged PM's.